Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly offensive string question :)

Default Possibly offensive string question :)

I've found that my cheapie Fender ukulele is quite capable of some lovely Irish melodies, but I wish that the 4th G string was the thickest and could be tuned an octave lower. I realize that this may be sacrilegious! Is this done, and if so, what string thickness should I look for? Thanks!

Yes it can be done and is called low G, a popular tuning. There are two types of strings made specifically for this, a florocarbon and a wound string. The florocarbon is usually.038 the wound .030. The Fremont Soloist squeekless wound is my favorite
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

thank you, Dave!

Do you mean a low G string? Many people tune their ukulele in a liner way with a low G (instead of high g). There are lots of string choices but my favourite is the Fremont soloist low G.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

---------- ----------------- ----------

Concert - Kanile'a KSC-C * Ohto San cedar + koa 16"
    Tenor - Oulcraft curly myrtle * Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote * Anuenue UT200 * Kanile'a DK-ST * Risa LP Cherry sunburst * Ono 18" Torrefied spruce + koa (Bb tuning)

Quote Originally Posted by pix.fairydust View Post
    Do you mean a low G string? Many people tune their ukulele in a liner way with a low G (instead of high g). There are lots of string choices but my favourite is the Fremont soloist low G.
    Ha, that’s funny, we could have wrote each other’s post
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Which scale is your ukulele?
    Low G is a common choice on tenor ukulele, a bit rarer on concert ukes, and not very common on soprano ukuleles.

I would say just order some strings and try them out.
    While you are at it, you might want to try out if fluorocarbon strings are for you or not. I prefer them on most of my ukes. I am fond of Worth Browns, which will let you try both fluorocarbon and low G at once.
    Playing:
    Anuenue AMM tenor - Magic Fluke Koa Tenor - Cocobolo concert - Kamaka Tiki concert - Cort concert - Ohana LN soprano.

I use Living Water low G fluorocarbon strings, I have then on nearly all my ukes, (long neck soprano to tenor).

I only use a re entrant if just strumming along to voice, which I don't do very often, but usually just use linear tuned.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

You can buy individual Low-G strings at places like Uke-Republic and StringsByMail. Both wound and plain.

Wound Low-G strings will, in general, fit in standard High-g nut slots. Plain Low-G strings are thicker and may not fit the slot on your uke without widening it.

If the slot it widened, it can sometimes cause buzzing if you return to using a High-g string at a later date. (So far, I have not had this problem, but others have reported it.)

So measure if you can before you try it.

As an aside, when I had only been playing for 6 months, I switched my Pono tenor from Living Waters High-g to Low-G and played it for months before I realized the thicker string wasn't seated properly in the nut slot. It sat with about half the width of the string above the top edge of the nut. It was always in tune, and never buzzed. Go figure.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

UkeLogic also sells a very nice smooth wound (squeekless) low -G string.

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.Noone View Post
    I've found that my cheapie Fender ukulele is quite capable of some lovely Irish melodies, but I wish that the 4th G string was the thickest and could be tuned an octave lower. I realize that this may be sacrilegious! Is this done, and if so, what string thickness should I look for? Thanks!
    Now you have to decide if you want wound steel or synthetic.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information