Thread: New Risa Tenor Stick. Slipping planetary tuner peg

Default New Risa Tenor Stick. Slipping planetary tuner peg

Hello there! This is my first post though I've been lurking for a little while. I just took delivery today of a Risa Stick Tenor, and I found that the peg for the C-string is too willing to loosen up. At first when taking it out of the box, the C string wouldn't stay tuned as I could see the peg undo itself by about 1/4th turn. Trying to cheat by overcompensating the tuning to allow the 1/4th turn to come back to the tuned position didn't work either. I tightened up a bit the screw holding the peg in, and although it has helped, I don't want to overtighten and risk damaging the Uke.

I'm still a beginner by experience (only been playing an acoustic concert-sized ukulele for a month with standard gear tuners), but it's somewhat disappointing to pay a fair chunk of money for the Risa and finding that I can't keep a string in tune due to the peg rolling itself back before even playing...

Wanted to check in with you all to see if I'm overlooking something, or if I should just check back in with the music store for a solution. As to why I don't just go to the music store, I'm in the US and I bought the instrument online from UK.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I had one of these, sold it here a year ago or so. Doesn’t it have geared tuners? Those things are not prone to slipping.

If the planetary geared tuners are “slipping” on a new uke, contact the store where you bought it.
    They might know what the issue is. If they can’t help , then contact Risa.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

The tuners have a small screw on the end. This screw adjusts the tension on the tuner. Carefully tighten the screw until it holds the tuner from slipping out of tune.On my Risa I have adjusted the tension on one or another of the tuners 2 or 3 times over the last 10 years.

Yes, I’ve checked all the end screws to ensure they were tight. Going by feel, they were all screwed in to same approximate torque. I then tightened the C peg a bit further, but it still comes undone with very little effort, and I don’t feel comfortable tightening it further.

Thanks for tips, everyone. I’m going to reach out to the shop that I bought it from.

And Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays!

Thread Information