Your choice for baritone strings (DGBE) with no wound strings.

MJB

Reaction score
I have a KALA KA-B and would like to get rid of the Aquila Nylgut strings for a set of some other brand that has no wound strings.

I see that Oasis and Worth have sets that meet that criteria. Your pick of these or something else?

I've been using Living Waters on a Kala solid mahogany baritone for a couple years. I like them, but I had an attack of SAS and bought a set of PhDs (also unwound fluoro) to try.

I tried both uke logic and Living waters on mine. I preferred the Uke Logic, but both were good. I prefer wound D and G strings so Im using classical guitar strings at the moment, which I'm very happy with.

+1 on Living Water strings!

Have Living water strings on a MP walnut baritone that work well on it.

I like Living Water strings but with fluorocarbon that low D was such a fat string and I was not willing to cut a wider nut slot to accommodate it. I use wound and am fine with a variety of relatively squeakless choices.

I ordered a set of Living Water strings. I'm not going to do nut work so if it doesn't work I'll pic up a different D string.

I ordered a set of Living Water strings. I'm not going to do nut work so if it doesn't work I'll pic up a different D string.

Please let me know how you get on. I received a Kala baritone for Christmas and I’m not keen on the wound strings. It sounds like someone rubbing dry hands together when I strum!

Please let me know how you get on. I received a Kala baritone for Christmas and I’m not keen on the wound strings. It sounds like someone rubbing dry hands together when I strum!

I'll report back when the strings get here.

Congrats on the bari, I'm sure you'll love it!

Worth Browns for me. I'd like some Fremont blacklines but they don't make Baritone strings.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Worth Browns versus Living Water? I seem to have narrowed my search down to these two.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Worth Browns versus Living Water? I seem to have narrowed my search down to these two.

On a tenor, the Worth Brown Mediums seem to have a warmer sound than the Living Waters. The LW strings are more bell like, chimey.

I have living waters on mine. I like them, but I find the low D is a bit weak, so I will try a wound with this set next. I had to widen the slot a little for the low D.

That widening of the slot to fit new strings seems a bit daunting to me, truth be told. My partner is pretty handy so maybe I'll sit him down in front of some youtube videos!

I suppose the disliking of wound strings has to do with the squishing sounds they produce while playing? There is a simple solution to this: flat wound strings. I prefer them over non-wound strings which tend to become quite fat and wobbly. I don't like them at all. Likewise, I don't like the sounds of round wound strings. So I took to faltwound strings for the D- and g-strings. That's an guitar a-string for the Bari d, and a guitar d-string for the Bari g - to compensate the shorter scale. It works fine. I recommend Thomastik-Infeld CF35 and CF30. Not my idea, I got it from this forum. I couldn't find the thread right now.

Top Bottom