Your choice for baritone strings (DGBE) with no wound strings.

If only our music shops were open!

I think I’ve found the solution. I’ll buy Worth’s and LW and then I’ll have to get another baritone uke :D

If only our music shops were open!

I think I’ve found the solution. I’ll buy Worth’s and LW and then I’ll have to get another baritone uke :D

Now that's the best solution!

My new strings are due to arrive Saturday.

Oh great, I am eagerly awaiting your update!

My partner asked me today if now I have a baritone I will be selling my concert. No words were needed, just the look on my face :D

OK, I've got the LW strings on the baritone. Initial impression is that I will like these, good feel and sound. I'm going to let these settle in until tomorrow then play some more.

After snapping an Aquila red low G on my tenor, I've ordered some Worth Browns to replace the set.

I’ve ordered some Worth Browns too so it’ll be interesting to hear how you compare the two when you get yours (although for tenor I know)

You must be happy just to be rid of those wound strings. I’ve been practising on my baritone to learn the new chord positions but the sound of the wound strings are really grating on me!

The LW Baritone Low D is really fat (1.05mm). I'll live with it as is and see how it goes. If it's trouble free great, if not then I may have to change it OR invest in a set of nut files. ;)

Last edited:
So they solve the sound problem but feel a bit weird? I’m hoping I can get used to that! Now I’m off to research nut files ;)

So they solve the sound problem but feel a bit weird? I’m hoping I can get used to that! Now I’m off to research nut files ;)

As long as the LW strings don't give me any trouble, I'm leaving the nut alone. I'll revisit the situation should there be a need, otherwise I'll let the sleeping dog lie. I wish Fremont made a set of blacklines for Baritone low D.

I suppose the disliking of wound strings has to do with the squishing sounds they produce while playing? There is a simple solution to this: flat wound strings. I prefer them over non-wound strings which tend to become quite fat and wobbly. I don't like them at all. Likewise, I don't like the sounds of round wound strings. So I took to faltwound strings for the D- and g-strings. That's an guitar a-string for the Bari d, and a guitar d-string for the Bari g - to compensate the shorter scale. It works fine. I recommend Thomastik-Infeld CF35 and CF30. Not my idea, I got it from this forum. I couldn't find the thread right now.

When I played 34" scale electric bass I used TI Jazz flats. Great strings!

My Worth Browns arrived today.

I’ve only been playing since May and had never changed a string before but after watching a dozen YouTube videos managed to swap them all over!

They sound lovely to me ear and I’m really happy with them. The D is 0.9mm I think and seems to sit well in the nut.

I put the Worth browns on my tenor today. Initial impressions are good, I like the feel and tone. They seem to have a lot of stretch so I'll need them to break in for awhile.

Im glad you said they have a lot of stretch. I dont have your experience so wasnt sure if I had strung them correctly and mine are the same although they are going out of tune a little less each time so hopefully its the strings and not me :)

With these strings and my new baritone its like something has clicked for me. Im no longer trying to play uke, I AM playing uke! Couldnt be happier.

Top Bottom