Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your choice for baritone strings (DGBE) with no wound strings.

Another vote for living water!

[QUOTE=NewLele;2259792]Please let me know how you get on. I received a Kala baritone for Christmas and I
    Enya (C) laminate, Bonanza (C) Cherry Oreo, Pono (T) mahogany, KoAloha (T) Koa, Kala (B) Cedar top/Acacia laminate, Mainland (B) Red cedar/Rosewood.

Worth Browns for me. I'd like some Fremont blacklines but they don't make Baritone strings.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post
    I'll report back when the strings get here.

Congrats on the bari, I'm sure you'll love it!
    Thank you! Yes I’m a spoilt Mum this year : )

Does anyone have any thoughts about Worth Browns versus Living Water? I seem to have narrowed my search down to these two.

Quote Originally Posted by NewLele View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts about Worth Browns versus Living Water? I seem to have narrowed my search down to these two.
    On a tenor, the Worth Brown Mediums seem to have a warmer sound than the Living Waters. The LW strings are more bell like, chimey.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I have living waters on mine. I like them, but I find the low D is a bit weak, so I will try a wound with this set next. I had to widen the slot a little for the low D.
    Clive

That widening of the slot to fit new strings seems a bit daunting to me, truth be told. My partner is pretty handy so maybe I'll sit him down in front of some youtube videos!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    On a tenor, the Worth Brown Mediums seem to have a warmer sound than the Living Waters. The LW strings are more bell like, chimey.
    Thank you. I do like a warmer sound..... gosh I think I'm over-thinking all of this!!

I suppose the disliking of wound strings has to do with the squishing sounds they produce while playing? There is a simple solution to this: flat wound strings. I prefer them over non-wound strings which tend to become quite fat and wobbly. I don't like them at all. Likewise, I don't like the sounds of round wound strings. So I took to faltwound strings for the D- and g-strings. That's an guitar a-string for the Bari d, and a guitar d-string for the Bari g - to compensate the shorter scale. It works fine. I recommend Thomastik-Infeld CF35 and CF30. Not my idea, I got it from this forum. I couldn't find the thread right now.

Thread Information