Slot Head Tuning Machines

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I'm going to make a uke based around a license plate, and I have a ready-made slothead neck. I've used regular tuners in one before, but I thought I'd use slothead tuners in this one. I'm surprised they're so hard to find.

If I was willing to spend $75 - $100, I could easily find a set, but this is going to be a cheap, non-fancy uke. eBay has a set from China for about $10, but how about getting a set like below ($25 range) and cutting off one tuner? Or should I just use regular tuners, of which I have several?

Tuners 1.jpg Tuners 2.jpg

You want the basic Rubner uke tuners - model number 068-062-000-PVC. They have plastic buttons and come in at about

Last edited:
Thanks, but I'm trying to avoid white knobs.

Possibly you could dye the white knobs amber by soaking them in coffee or tea, etc. Also, Rubner appears to have a lot of choices in knobs, so maybe you could find a distributor who sells different replacements. A brief search mostly reveals overseas suppliers, alas, so shipping might be significant....

Last edited:
Possibly you could dye the white knobs amber by soaking them in coffee or tea, etc. Also, Rubner appears to have a lot of choices in knobs, so maybe you could find a distributor who sells different replacements. A brief search mostly reveals overseas suppliers, alas, so shipping might be significant....

I might also be able to swap knobs with other tuners. eBay has a gold/white combo for $10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sets-of-Gu...063944?hash=item340ea611c8:g:HDEAAOSwMkJdKDdg

I think the white ones are pearloid, but they also do an imitation ivory version for the same price I believe. If you want wood then you are going to have to pay more, or accept less quality.

Jerry- I sell Grover slot head tuners in the price range you are thinking about, as well as more expensive ones too. If interested, send me an e-mail. Bob/Pegasus Guitars & Ukuleles

For a novelty license plate uke, I don't want to spend that much on tuners. I would up ordering a set from China - gold and white for $9.71.

Followed the link to the Rubner site. Fell in love. Bought 3 sets.
Now my challenge is to make an instrument worthy of those tuners.
Miguel

Yeah, I love that even the "budget" Rubners are well made (and in Germany at that). And if you prefer plain old brushed brass you can still customize with rollers with bearings and wood knobs. They made me a custom set for an ancient guitar (1965 Jose Ramirez) with nonstandard roller spacing and those bearing rollers are silky smooth.

Hi,
this thread got me thinking about making a slot head concert until I started looking at the dimensions of the plate tuners I could find on the web. The narrowest plate that I could find was the Rubner which was still 16.3mm. The headstock thickness would end up about 18mm which I think looks to thick for a delicate little concert. I appreciate that there are limits to this kind of mechanism with the worm gear but has anybody come across a ukulele slotted headstock plate tuner that is narrower than 16mm?
cheers
Paul

Hi,
this thread got me thinking about making a slot head concert until I started looking at the dimensions of the plate tuners I could find on the web. The narrowest plate that I could find was the Rubner which was still 16.3mm. The headstock thickness would end up about 18mm which I think looks to thick for a delicate little concert. I appreciate that there are limits to this kind of mechanism with the worm gear but has anybody come across a ukulele slotted headstock plate tuner that is narrower than 16mm?
cheers
Paul

I wound up using a standard neck on my latest build, so I used regular tuners. I did make one or two with a slotted tenor neck, and I used regular tuners. That's basically what The Magic Fluke does - without the piece of wood in the center.

Thanks pmorey, that's an excellent idea. 8.4mm - lots of options there. I even found a discussion about slothead tuners on Banjo Hangout where somebody had mounted these gotoh's on a backplate if I still wanted that look.
I used the gotoh SGi510's on my last builds which were excellent so know the brand. They are very innovative.
I'll get in touch with Josh Gemmell at Japarts. Very good service last time.
cheers
Paul

Top Bottom