Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tuners for T1K

Default New Tuners for T1K

I want to put new friction tuners on my Martin T1K. I am looking at Waverly and Grover pegs and leaning towards the Waverlys. They are $55 at StewMac and the Grovers are about $30. Also, I looked into the Graphtech ratio tuners for about $28 (I am worried about two extra holes in the Peghead). I will probably get the Waverly tuners unless someone can convince me otherwise. Please help. Thanks.

For just a few extra $$'s, you could get Gotoh UPT planetery tuners that work much better.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe | Kala Acacia - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    For just a few extra $$'s, you could get Gotoh UPT planetery tuners that work much better.
    I have thought long and hard about that. I would love planetary tuners. These weigh twice the weight of the Waverlys though, and they would suck up all of my $75 budget when you add in $4.20 USPS first class shipping, leaving me without a new set of low-G strings, and I need that low G. The high G that came with my uke isn't cutting it.

Do you have a preference between the ones I mentioned in the OP?
    Last edited by Mike $; 12-24-2020 at 12:22 PM.

I have heard lots of raves for the Waverlys

Of those 2, I'd prefer the Waverlies, but they are trickier to install than most frictions, requiring a precise cone shaped hole on the back. If paying for a pro install, that's not an issue. I too would prefer UPTs over either, cost is similar to W, and easy to self-install.
    John

Have you looked at Peghed planetary tuners? They look a lot like friction tuners but have internal gears. Martin equipped their 1T I Z commemorative tenors with these tuners.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Have you looked at Peghed planetary tuners? They look a lot like friction tuners but have internal gears. Martin equipped their 1T I Z commemorative tenors with these tuners.
    Yes, I looked at their website and watched an installation video, but can't find anyplace that sells them. I haven't seen a price for these tuners as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Of those 2, I'd prefer the Waverlies, but they are trickier to install than most frictions, requiring a precise cone shaped hole on the back. If paying for a pro install, that's not an issue. I too would prefer UPTs over either, cost is similar to W, and easy to self-install.
    At this point, I am not interested in buying tools and cutting into my uke. Since finding out about the champfer, I looked more into the Gotoh Upt tuners. I am looking for a place that sells them here on the mainland that is not selling through ebay.

After 10 years with friction tuners on my LoPrinzi soprano, I finally pulled the trigger on Gotoh Planetary tuners. The tuners are a bit hard to get, especially if you want a specific look. My uke is walnut with black bindings so I wanted the black tuners with black oval buttons. The easiest to find are the white. You can order direct from Gotoh but that will take longer and with shipping, it’s probably the most expensive option. I don’t usually buy from eBay but I saw “Lucy’s store” was highly recommended (think she has a presence on Reverb too) and she had the exact ones I wanted. They were $71 +4 ship. They shipped out immediately and are scheduled to arrive 1/3-6. I’m gonna have them installed by a local luthier. I can’t wait! I play a lot outside and find lately that my tuners slip in certain weather conditions (even with the screw pretty darn tight). I think the problem has exacerbated because of the higher tension created by fifths tuning. I think planetary tuners will give me easier and more stable tuning (at least that’s the plan).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike $ View Post
    I have thought long and hard about that. I would love planetary tuners. These weigh twice the weight of the Waverlys though, and they would suck up all of my $75 budget when you add in $4.20 USPS first class shipping, leaving me without a new set of low-G strings, and I need that low G. The high G that came with my uke isn't cutting it.

Do you have a preference between the ones I mentioned in the OP?
    I just got a set from Pohaku for $74 delivered.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information