Looking for help on my wound C quest

daviswalker

Reaction score
First of all, hello! I have been lurking and learning and buying on the Marketplace for some time, but this is my first post. Thank you to this community for helping me so far.

Im playing low g tenor and am looking for a nice resonant wound c string. Ive tried the smooth wound T-I strings but havent liked the response. Today the Fremont soloist arrived and thats more like it! But now I need a c string (ideally polished or smooth wound) that isnt overpowered.

Based on something I read here (sorry I cant remember from whom!) I am now trying a DAddario composite .027 string - J4504LP. It sounds pretty great but is awfully high tension, and I fear Im pushing it beyond what it can do. Am I doing it wrong? Are there only some classical 4th strings that work? Will wound c strings tend to be high tension in general? Id love to understand more about my options and what else to try.

Thank you!

Dave

Last edited:
You are where wound strings will be too heavy. An .029w (the smallest nylon wound I could find) will not tune up to a C on a Tenor.* For unwound nylon, try to find .038, or .040. Perhaps someone can suggest a flourocarbon. (As a C, I like the .0402 found in a D'addario EJ27N set.)

* An .029W would work as a Tenor low G.

Last edited:
Hmm, I would have suggested the wound third from the T-I set - CF128 i think. But if you don't like those I'm not sure what else to suggest. I'm surprised you find the composite high tension. I had that entire set on a tenor guitalele at ADGCEA and did not think it was high tension.

I think you're gonna have to search for "wound 3rd low tension classical" like this:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/hannabach-870-silver-wound-8703lt-3rd-string-g-low-tension-531.html

I can't recommend this specific string as I haven't used it but seems like a good place to start

Jim, that looks like one I will try.

stringsbymail.com Hannabach 870 Silver Wound 8703LT- 3rd string (g) Low Tension

Diameter (in.) 0.0256"

Hi Davis,

While I personally do like the T-I options, on some instruments i've used an unwound savarez 543 R, G string tuned to C and been happy with the tension. I use that same string tuned to B on longer scale baritone uke. You can find it here: https://www.stringsbymail.com/savarez-alliance-kf-543r-3rd-string-g-normal-tension-0331-3810.html

Also, You can buy nylon string singles in any gauge you want at Strings by Mail. I believe they increase by increments of 2 mm. Here's a link to the single nylon strings. You can go up or down in any direction: https://www.stringsbymail.com/savarez-nn91-91-mm-0-0358-inches-single-string-3931.html

If the 543 R is not to your liking tension wise, they also sell fluorocarbon singles with similar increments here: https://www.stringsbymail.com/savarez-alliance-kf91-91-mm-0-0358-inches-single-string-3370.html

Good luck finding what works for your taste ~

Last edited:
Okay thank you! It sounds like my starting point should be to treat the 4 strings on my tenor as the first four strings on a classical guitar. Putting a classical fourth on my C was my mistake. Does this sound right? If so, what is the equivalent short hand for concert and baritone?

Looking for a wound third string does limit my options, but I look forward to exploring them.

I found these single silverplated DAddario - can anyone advise on what diameter would be appropriate for a tenor C string? https://www.stringsbymail.com/class...specialty-singles-114/silverplated-wound-340/

Thank you everyone and happy holidays.

Dave

Okay thank you! It sounds like my starting point should be to treat the 4 strings on my tenor as the first four strings on a classical guitar. Putting a classical fourth on my C was my mistake. Does this sound right? If so, what is the equivalent short hand for concert and baritone?

Can't help with the daddario selection, but you are correct about first four classical (normal tension) giving you a normal tension GCEA for tenor uke.

For concert, I'd say it is not common to use the classical sets but for GCEA tuning you'd still want to use the first 4. You might have to use a slighter higher tension set than you would for tenor.

For baritone your normal tuning would be DGBE and strings 2-5 from a classical set will generally give you that.

All my tenors are low G with a wound C string. I have experimented a lot with different wound C strings, none seem high tension to me but we are all different. First off a short primary on diameter, anything bewtween .026” and .028” will work well with acceptable tension and pitch. The only smooth wound squeekless string is the Thomastik CF27, although I don’t care for the CF30 for low G (like you) the CF27 for the C string sounds good. Next is the D’Addario Pro Arte classical Nylon Silverwound, in diameters from .026”-.028”.

Last is my new favorite, been using it about 2 years, the Savarez N 527 R. It is designed as a wound replacement for a classical guitar 3rd string, this is how I first found out about it and used it. With a diameter of .028” I thought it might work on a ukulele C string, it sounds great and I love it. I buy it from Strings by. It is in the Classical guitar section.

Thank you again! Dave, I found your recommendation of the Savarez and bought that as part of my last order. I strung it up this morning and will experiment with it next. It still feels higher tension than the surrounding strings, but there’s a chance I’m overthinking this and I’ll stop worrying about it after playing for awhile.

Can I ask - have you also experimented with the matching wound g for these c strings? Do you find that matching the two is worth considering, or are you pretty settled on the Fremont g?

Thank you and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it.

Dave

Thank you again! Dave, I found your recommendation of the Savarez and bought that as part of my last order. I strung it up this morning and will experiment with it next. It still feels higher tension than the surrounding strings, but there’s a chance I’m overthinking this and I’ll stop worrying about it after playing for awhile.

Can I ask - have you also experimented with the matching wound g for these c strings? Do you find that matching the two is worth considering, or are you pretty settled on the Fremont g?

Thank you and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it.

Dave

The use of the Fremont is pretty universal for me. It has a chimey tone that I really like. But string choice can be influenced by the instrument. An overly bright instrument can benefit from the Thomastik CF30 G string paired with the Thomastik CF27 C string

I just got the Pono solid body tenor electric, wound C went twang so I have some low g Hilo sets & put the wound C on , works great

Top Bottom