Cookie Tin

When my kids were in Beavers (a Canadian farm team for Cub Scouts), 35 years ago, the Beaver leader phoned and told me that the kids had been making homemade instruments. She asked if I'd bring my guitar and lead a sing song. I didn't think it would be fair for me to be playing a Martin guitar when they were playing instruments made from tin cans, chocolate boxes, bottle caps and elastic bands, so I took a cookie tin, a broken hockey stick and some strings from my banjo (Hey it was time for a string change anyway) and made a 5-string fretless banjo.
I did take the guitar, but they were impressed that I could actually play songs on the home made banjo.
Years later I played that same banjo at the Unusual Musical Instruments workshop at the Mariposa Folk Festival.

Here's the banjer. I still have it:
cookie tin banjer.jpg

I still have one of the musical instruments that one of my kids built too. They called it a tambourine stick:
tamborine stick.jpg

I can't wait to hear your cookie tin banjolele Jerry.

When my kids were in Beavers (a Canadian farm team for Cub Scouts), 35 years ago, the Beaver leader phoned and told me that the kids had been making homemade instruments. She asked if I'd bring my guitar and lead a sing song. I didn't think it would be fair for me to be playing a Martin guitar when they were playing instruments made from tin cans, chocolate boxes, bottle caps and elastic bands, so I took a cookie tin, a broken hockey stick and some strings from my banjo (Hey it was time for a string change anyway) and made a 5-string fretless banjo.
I did take the guitar, but they were impressed that I could actually play songs on the home made banjo.
Years later I played that same banjo at the Unusual Musical Instruments workshop at the Mariposa Folk Festival.

Here's the banjer. I still have it:
View attachment 131464

I still have one of the musical instruments that one of my kids built too. They called it a tambourine stick:
View attachment 131465

I can't wait to hear your cookie tin banjolele Jerry.

Nice, but don't hold your breath waiting for that cookie tin banjolele. :)

I once built a cookie tin three stringer tuned like a mountain dulcimer. It looked great but did not sound as good as a cigar box.

Pretty cool Jim. I'll bet you inspired some of those kids to think creatively about a lot of things with that demonstration.

Three strings on a dulcimer with diatonic tuning give you a bit of a bagpipe-like sound.

Top Bottom