can strings wear out

ripock

Reaction score
I am having a weird problem. I can no longer get the B note on the 16th fret of my A string. When I play it, it plays a C. I undoubtably have an extra A string lying around in my box of miscellany and I'll try a new string. However I was just curious if anyone else has ever come across this problem whereby a string gets worn out at a very specific fret.

Very possible, especially if the fret is slightly high, and of curse strings just wear out, when depends on how often and how long they're used. The leader of my group, who plays her uke often during the day because she conducts daily Zoom sessions, says she changes strings every couple of months.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Maybe stupid suggestion, but you could try a new battery in your tuning device. I had a case like this.

I really appreciate the input and I understand it. My tuner currently has an almost imperceptible readout because the battery is so low. However it is the ear that matters. The 16th fret and the 17th fret of my A string are producing the same note.

When i used to play EVERY day, on the same uke, I wore a set of strings out about every five months. Now that I don't play each day, and have multiple ukes, my strings last a year or more.
When they're shot, they don't stay in tune anymore.

Umm 14 frets up on the A string is the B not 16 frets up. Getting up around the 16th and 17th fret playing the same means your 17th fret is a tad high.

Last edited:
Umm 14 frets up on the A string is the B not 16 frets up. Getting up around the 16th and 17th fret playing the same means your 17th fret is a tad high.

Oh, come on dude. Don't be that way. I miscounted. B is the fret below the 15th--i.e. the 14th--instead of the fret above the 15th, or the 16th fret to give it a name. Regardless, does Patrick (or anyone else) have anything constructive to say about a fret losing its voice.

After a while, the strings no longer stretch. We tighten them to the point of maximum elasticity. I don't know if that affected your old strings. But since you are having the problem with your new string, probably a fret.

Lol, ya never know Ripock, the way it's worded, it read like you were trying to get a B on the 16th fret. I thought it was constructive as many here are new and may be just learning to play up that high. Didn't sound like you as I know you are serious about your playing. I still think it's a fret that's high or possibly a change in humidity raised the fret just a tad.

Yes if it is A open then 16th should be C. This is the last fret on my uke and way inside the body. High action at this point should make a playing a clear note challenging for most mortals.

I dont have that good uke to play past 12 frets. Usually something like thick strings are maybe 20 cent sharp when g and e strings are about right there. I use to be a solo fast player with guitar. With uke i could not care any.

Does seem so very odd....why would a fret suddenly lose it voice? I could see a string as the plausible culprit, but the fret? I would be concerned it could mean a warping of the neck. Does the problem exist only on the one string and not the others? If it were a damaged bridge, I could see it affecting only one string, but it would affect all the notes up the fretboard on that string. I think I'm with you, a trip to your luthier seems needed. Please let us know what you discover - and good luck!

Yes if it is A open then 16th should be C. This is the last fret on my uke and way inside the body. High action at this point should make a playing a clear note challenging for most mortals.

I don't play that high up, but if A is open, then 12th will be another A, 14th will be B and 15th will be C.

I think the OP's problem is his ears. If he tested the tone with a tuner app, he'll see different notes. Since I'm assuming the OP used to get different notes, his fretting is good (although I think even with bad fretting where he's bending a lot, it'd be kind of hard to get 1/2 step different unless you are actually trying to do it).

Does seem so very odd....why would a fret suddenly lose it voice? I could see a string as the plausible culprit, but the fret? I would be concerned it could mean a warping of the neck. Does the problem exist only on the one string and not the others? If it were a damaged bridge, I could see it affecting only one string, but it would affect all the notes up the fretboard on that string. I think I'm with you, a trip to your luthier seems needed. Please let us know what you discover - and good luck!

A twisted neck will still give different notes on different frets, just that the notes wouldn't be in-tune relative to each other. I think the OP's hearing is going.

Top Bottom