Oulcraft

PeterRabit

Verified Account
Reaction score
Oulcraft ukuleles are back at Southern Ukulele Store. There were 4 but now only 2.
Who owns an Oulcraft and do you like it?

First and 3rd have gone now, 2nd and 4th still there

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201225-225323_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201225-225323_Chrome.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20201225-225007_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201225-225007_Chrome.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20201225-225155_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201225-225155_Chrome.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20201225-225102_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201225-225102_Chrome.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Feel free to buy one.

Feel free to buy one.

I'm brand new to the forum and haven't posted before but have seen a few comments like this already and wonder if this is the general spirit of the forum?

What is the point of this comment? Seems to me he (she?) was asking if anyone has any more information about Oulcrafts and would like to know what anyone who owns or has played one thinks and this comment is neither helpful or funny. I've not really heard much about Oulcrafts either so would be interested to know too.
Your comment just reads obnoxious.

First and 3rd have gone now, 2nd and 4th still there

I came across #1 online somewhere (maybe instagram), I think before it was shipped from the builder. I’m not a fan of some of Oulcraft’s aesthetic choices, including the little silver feathers they sometimes put near the sound hole and the wood dyed around the sound hole and back. I’m just not a fan of colorfully dyed woods on ukes. But I have been curious about Oulcrafts, and like the look of their plainer designs. And even though the myrtlewood on that first uke appears to be dyed, it caught my eye. It was the first of their ukes I considered purchasing, especially because I had been planning on a different purchase (not Oulcraft) that had slipped through my fingers.

So I was considering purchasing this one depending on how much it was listed for at the Southern Ukulele Store. Unfortunately, I never even saw the listing. In fact, I thought they hadn’t received it yet, and I would’ve still been waiting for it to show up if you hadn’t mentioned it in your comment.

I wish I could give you some feedback about Oulcraft, but like you, I’m curious to hear more about them.

I'm brand new to the forum and haven't posted before but have seen a few comments like this already and wonder if this is the general spirit of the forum?

What is the point of this comment? Seems to me he (she?) was asking if anyone has any more information about Oulcrafts and would like to know what anyone who owns or has played one thinks and this comment is neither helpful or funny. I've not really heard much about Oulcrafts either so would be interested to know too.

Agreed. Like any forum, there are folks who are helpful, folks who are not, folks who are friendly, folks who are not. I would note, however, that this forum seems to have very little moderation, which might be a testament to how well people really are behaving themselves. The ukulele world at large seems to be a friendlier community than most, and I think that’s somewhat reflected in this forum. But as with any group of people, you’ll inevitably wind up with less than friendly encounters here and there.

I hope you’re not discouraged by those less than friendly encounters.

Wow, and you joined just to say that? Just what we need - another woke member who wants to police the forum they have just joined.

I hate to tell you this but all opinions are welcome here. If mine offended you then you are possibly too delicate for this forum.

Wow, and you joined just to say that? Just what we need - another woke member who wants to police the forum they have just joined.

I hate to tell you this but all opinions are welcome here. If mine offended you then you are possibly too delicate for this forum.

Yes, I did actually, and again your point being? Just as you say, we're all entitled an opinion and to express it. And what exactly was your opinion with your first comment, I don't see that you were expressing an opinion... A considered opinion I could deal with, a pointless remark for the sake of being rude or belittling I don't.

So please, explain what point or opinion you were making in "feel free to buy one" was? What opinion were you expressing about the post?

Agreed. Like any forum, there are folks who are helpful, folks who are not, folks who are friendly, folks who are not. I would note, however, that this forum seems to have very little moderation, which might be a testament to how well people really are behaving themselves. The ukulele world at large seems to be a friendlier community than most, and I think that’s somewhat reflected in this forum. But as with any group of people, you’ll inevitably wind up with less than friendly encounters here and there.

I hope you’re not discouraged by those less than friendly encounters.

Agreed! Can tell that just from this thread!

Ahem . . . and back to the OP. Gotaukulele gave an Oulcraft concert a great review in April (9.3 with 9.5 for sound). However, the four listed in the second post are not the one reviewed and spending lots of money on one of those is hard to imagine without playing and listening to it.

I've been intrigued with Oulcraft since the GotAUkulele review in April. They look beautifully made, and since Baz compared the quality and sound to Rebel and KoAloha I figure they have to be really good. It's the first uke I've heard Baz giggle over! The first and then the third one would have been my choices as well. If I were in the UK I'd jump on one.

I've been intrigued with Oulcraft since the GotAUkulele review in April. They look beautifully made, and since Baz compared the quality and sound to Rebel and KoAloha I figure they have to be really good. It's the first uke I've heard Baz giggle over! The first and then the third one would have been my choices as well. If I were in the UK I'd jump on one.

Southern Ukulele ship all over the world as many here can testify so, at the risk of repeating myself ............

I'm aware that Sus ships to the US, as I've considered ordering from them several times. I still may order from them someday if the right uke comes along. These pricey two-toned Oulcrafts aren't to my taste, but that first one might have been. Didn't get to see the price on that one, what was it?

Last edited:
I'm aware that Sus ships to the US, as I've considered ordering from them several times. I still may order from them someday if the right uke comes along. These pricey two-toned Oulcrafts aren't to my taste, but hat first one might have been. Didn't get to see the price on that one, what was it?

Still have the other two in my history -

https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/oulcraft-custom-tenor-ukulele-solid-curly-myrtle-black-stain-inc-case-85/

https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/oulcraft-custom-tenor-ukulele-solid-spruce-koa-gloss-inc-case-76/

Hi,

I have an Oulcraft (currently on loan to musician). It is simply beautiful in looks and voice. (There are older sound samples on Ukulele Friend website.)

Sorry, wasn't able to reply until now due to an issue saying I was blacklisted. Sorted now though thanks to a very speedy response from moderators (thank you)!

Thanks SmileAndUke, appreciate your comment. Also thanks to rafter, Cadia and Ed1 for your constructive comments.
That's great to hear Citabria, these instruments look wonderful but there's not a lot of talk about them.

I forgot about the review by gotaukulele, thanks for reminding me! Will go give it another watch.

Maybe I will buy one, if I feel like it in my own time, once I know a little more. And of course I will feel free to do so or not as I wish.

Last edited:
I have an Oulcraft mahogany soprano. Because I attend ukulele classes of a shop in Hong Kong that carries a few standard-level Oulcraft, I have the chances to try them in person, including the spruce top concert featured in Baz's review. At first I was put off by their somewhat toy-ish design, but I really like the sound, lightness and the thin satin finish of the mahogany soprano that I bought. And my soprano does not have those feathers below the sound hole nor the moon-phrases on the fret board like the spruce top concert.

The shop owners are proud of being able to carry this brand of ukuleles as they are all handmade in very small number of production and of very high quality. They told me that the luthiers in Oulcraft were trained in Japan and have the same meticulous attention to the materials and workmanship as Japanese products.

Top Bottom