Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxing Day

Default Boxing Day

First of all, I would like to wish each and every one of you a happy Boxing Day. I have no clue what that means, or what happens on Boxing Day, all I know is that it is the day after Christmas. Which brings me to my next point. One term that has become fashionable by repeated use on the internet and now in everyday life is the term "unboxing". This has always rubbed me the wrong way. Why would you call something "unboxing" when "opening" describes the same action. "I am going to unbox a new ukulele", to me sounds pretty stupid when compared to "I am going to open up a new Ukulele". Which brings me to my next point. Wouldn't Christmas be on of the biggest "unboxing" days of the year? If people start calling it Unboxing Day instead of Christmas day then, might they move Boxing Day to Christmas Eve so you can have Boxing Day followed by Unboxing Day? Which brings me back to my first point. Happy Boxing Day!

p.s. Don't get me started on the logic of using the term "Fanboy" instead of simply saying "Fan" and "Price Point" instead of just using the term "Price" when you aren't pointing at a graph....but that's a thread for another day.

Making google your friend might help with some of your pet peeves. Boxing Day is quickly explained as the day after Christmas when many Lords would give gifts in boxes to their servants or the poor.

"Unboxing" is a more specific term than opening for those younger and more tech savvy. It started with the videotaping of opening new high tech items and posting the video on the internet. Often, perhaps usually, it was accompanied by a demonstration or explanation of the new tech device. So if you are just opening your Christmas gifts, you are not unboxing unless you record and post on the internet, no matter the price point or if you are a fanboy.

Happy unboxing day!

One thing I have never said in everyday conversation is "unboxing" except to say how silly it sounds. Soon the ridiculous fad of unboxing videos will be gone and forgotten and people will stop saying fanboy when they realize how goofy they sound saying it...and people who say price point will realize that it doesn't make them sound smarter, it makes them sound like Jethro Bodine when he talks about learnin'. People tend to talk in fads. I don't usually participate, like.
    Last edited by Mike $; 12-26-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike $ View Post
    First of all, I would like to wish each and every one of you a happy Boxing Day. I have no clue what that means, or what happens on Boxing Day, all I know is that it is the day after Christmas. Which brings me to my next point. One term that has become fashionable by repeated use on the internet and now in everyday life is the term "unboxing". This has always rubbed me the wrong way. Why would you call something "unboxing" when "opening" describes the same action. "I am going to unbox a new ukulele", to me sounds pretty stupid when compared to "I am going to open up a new Ukulele". Which brings me to my next point. Wouldn't Christmas be on of the biggest "unboxing" days of the year? If people start calling it Unboxing Day instead of Christmas day then, might they move Boxing Day to Christmas Eve so you can have Boxing Day followed by Unboxing Day? Which brings me back to my first point. Happy Boxing Day!

p.s. Don't get me started on the logic of using the term "Fanboy" instead of simply saying "Fan" and "Price Point" instead of just using the term "Price" when you aren't pointing at a graph....but that's a thread for another day.
    Literally speaking, a box can be opened but not a ukulele. Ukuleles can only be played. That said, if you play a ukulele for a while, it may open on its own.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

I agree with you, especially the p.s.

I don't see the point of unboxing videos. There's no expertise involved. You get to see how it's packed and what's included. So what? If the host starts putting it together, he fumbles because he doesn't know what he's doing.

I would prefer to a video that begins after all the components have been removed from the box, and he knows enough that he can show us how it is assembled.

There are lots of very good videos on YouTube, but there are many more that are horrible. Some nights, all I watch on TV is YouTube.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Literally speaking, a box can be opened but not a ukulele. Ukuleles can only be played. That said, if you play a ukulele for a while, it may open on its own.
    You are focusing on the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I agree with you, especially the p.s.

I don't see the point of unboxing videos. There's no expertise involved. You get to see how it's packed and what's included. So what? If the host starts putting it together, he fumbles because he doesn't know what he's doing.

I would prefer to a video that begins after all the components have been removed from the box, and he knows enough that he can show us how it is assembled.

There are lots of very good videos on YouTube, but there are many more that are horrible. Some nights, all I watch on TV is YouTube.
    I have seen some embarrassing ones. I wonder what makes someone feel the need to do this. Perhaps they leave a link and make some money from the manufacturers, but most of these guys are in over their heads, as you mention.

Perhaps they leave a link and make some money from the manufacturers...
    Would you believe over $3,000 a week? This guy is very good.

https://us.youtubers.me/project-farm...mated-earnings

Yes, they can make a lot of money on YouTube, but they need a lot of subscribers and advertisers. If someone isn't any good, he won't have much of either.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 12-27-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I love stream of consciousness posts. Can you do a regular slot Mike?!

Boxing Day - the day that family fights broke out........
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thread Information