Boxing Day

Mike $

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to wish each and every one of you a happy Boxing Day. I have no clue what that means, or what happens on Boxing Day, all I know is that it is the day after Christmas. Which brings me to my next point. One term that has become fashionable by repeated use on the internet and now in everyday life is the term "unboxing". This has always rubbed me the wrong way. Why would you call something "unboxing" when "opening" describes the same action. "I am going to unbox a new ukulele", to me sounds pretty stupid when compared to "I am going to open up a new Ukulele". Which brings me to my next point. Wouldn't Christmas be on of the biggest "unboxing" days of the year? If people start calling it Unboxing Day instead of Christmas day then, might they move Boxing Day to Christmas Eve so you can have Boxing Day followed by Unboxing Day? Which brings me back to my first point. Happy Boxing Day!

p.s. Don't get me started on the logic of using the term "Fanboy" instead of simply saying "Fan" and "Price Point" instead of just using the term "Price" when you aren't pointing at a graph....but that's a thread for another day.

Making google your friend might help with some of your pet peeves. Boxing Day is quickly explained as the day after Christmas when many Lords would give gifts in boxes to their servants or the poor.

"Unboxing" is a more specific term than opening for those younger and more tech savvy. It started with the videotaping of opening new high tech items and posting the video on the internet. Often, perhaps usually, it was accompanied by a demonstration or explanation of the new tech device. So if you are just opening your Christmas gifts, you are not unboxing unless you record and post on the internet, no matter the price point or if you are a fanboy.

Happy unboxing day!

First of all, I would like to wish each and every one of you a happy Boxing Day. I have no clue what that means, or what happens on Boxing Day, all I know is that it is the day after Christmas. Which brings me to my next point. One term that has become fashionable by repeated use on the internet and now in everyday life is the term "unboxing". This has always rubbed me the wrong way. Why would you call something "unboxing" when "opening" describes the same action. "I am going to unbox a new ukulele", to me sounds pretty stupid when compared to "I am going to open up a new Ukulele". Which brings me to my next point. Wouldn't Christmas be on of the biggest "unboxing" days of the year? If people start calling it Unboxing Day instead of Christmas day then, might they move Boxing Day to Christmas Eve so you can have Boxing Day followed by Unboxing Day? Which brings me back to my first point. Happy Boxing Day!

p.s. Don't get me started on the logic of using the term "Fanboy" instead of simply saying "Fan" and "Price Point" instead of just using the term "Price" when you aren't pointing at a graph....but that's a thread for another day.

Literally speaking, a box can be opened but not a ukulele. Ukuleles can only be played. That said, if you play a ukulele for a while, it may open on its own.

I agree with you, especially the p.s.

I don't see the point of unboxing videos. There's no expertise involved. You get to see how it's packed and what's included. So what? If the host starts putting it together, he fumbles because he doesn't know what he's doing.

I would prefer to a video that begins after all the components have been removed from the box, and he knows enough that he can show us how it is assembled.

There are lots of very good videos on YouTube, but there are many more that are horrible. Some nights, all I watch on TV is YouTube.

Last edited:
Boxing Day - Also known as the day people box up the Christmas presents received but going back to the store for return or exchange. :)

Top Bottom