Season 463: Justice Matters

UkeFoote

Reaction score
Season of the Ukulele 463

“Justice Matters”
Bring a song that addresses the concept of “Justice”, in any way you deem appropriate. This could be songs that include the word "justice" (or words associated with the concept) in the title or lyrics. This could include songs about historical wrongs righted or unrighted or songs about famous judges, infamous vigilantes, mythical heroes. Obtuse, Thornton rule connections to the theme are welcome.

Secondary theme:
Bring a piece of music in an “unusual” meter - something other than duple (4/4), triple (3/4), or compound (6/8) meter. Examples of “unusual meters” would be 5/4 or 5/8, 7/4 or 7/8, etc. The unusual meter doesn’t have to be for the whole piece but should at least represent a significant part.

Usual season “rules” apply. Please just videos recorded this week. Originals, covers, multitracking... all good. No song limit.

The season title is quoted from the title of the youTube channel of Glenn Kirschner, who has been an inspirational voice of knowledge and reason for me and many others in these challenging times. I highly recommend Glenn’s YouTube channel for anyone interested in the perspective on US politics of a former JAG lawyer and award winning Federal prosecutor. Here's a link to his youTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrWmonkmTk5NbvmVnc7f70w

About the video. During the pandemic, Borfus and I have been practicing just about every Wednesday night in his yard. He’s got two picnic pavilions lashed together and wrapped on two sides with tarpaulin, and a propane fire pit. It is pretty primitive but a great place to drink beers and play music. Predictably, it’s been getting a bit colder and windier as we head into winter.

“The Trees” by Rush. Brian plays concert ukulele, sings, and whistles. Borfus Wallaby: Ashbory Ubass

The allegory on the theme of “justice” is quite apparent in the song, but does present an interesting conundrum: are the Oaks or the Maples the true oppressors?

I wrote an essay on the song back in my senior English class in high school, and I know I made the contention that the song was about labor rights issues, with the Oaks representing the rich and the Maples the working class (they form a union, after all). Checking online at the “song meanings dot com”, though, I can find many compelling (and less compelling) reactions to the song that contrast significantly with my take on it:
[video]https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3458764513820543130/[/video]

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
I am certain that I'm breaking a Seasons rule, yet I commit this injustice to publish my song on justice. Oh the irony.

In truth, I am traveling tomorrow and just wanted to get it set. I'm messing with some new video and audio equipment and software that I got for Christmas.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting Brian. Hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas. Here's a Dylan from John Wesley Harding - a favourite album.

I think everything Crys Matthews writes fits this season, a song that was a happily a bit prophetic, this is called Battle Hymn for an Army of Lovers. It was of course written about the unjustice of Trump going into the White House, and he has not left it yet unfortunately.

Last edited:
Here's one I have wanted to try for a while, and Justice week is a good excuse. Leon Rosselson's "The World Turned Upside Down" is about the Diggers, a group of radicals who tried to reclaim the land for all after the English Civil War. They were, of course, stamped on from a great height.

Great idea, Brian ... we could certainly do with a timely reminder about justice at the moment! I am feeling decidedly criminal, but might be thwarted for a day or two, since it is snowing heavily ... a sure sign that we could lose our Internet connection.

In this song I wrote the story of Tom Dula from the perspective of the foreman of the jury that convicted him.

When relationships end there is almost always a sense of injustice on one or both sides of the split - emotionally, morally and often financially too. Summed up nicely in this ABBA song, which also includes the line: The judges will decide, the likes of me abide...

Baritone and tenor ukes with some added synth piano, bass, pads and rhythm, and also some vocal harmonies. Really enjoyed myself with this one! Cheers Brian! :)

Last edited:
I just heard the news this week that brilliant songwriter and occasional contributor to the Seasons, Micheal Hermiston, had a stroke last month that has left him paralysed down one side. I was so upset to hear this. I was raging against the injustice that such a warm, truly human being should be struck down like that while real bastards in this world go on forever in good health. So I started writing this song, and then I couldn't believe that the theme for this week was Justice.... The song fitted perfectly, so I finished it off yesterday!

So, here I go asking the question which is probably one of mankind's earliest philosophical questions.

Hope you like:

NEWSFLASH

The wrap for Season 462 has now been posted - thanks! :)

Here's one that explores a particularly heinous injustice, one that still hasn't fully been righted to this day.

As good a song as this still is, I can't fathom how mindblowingly incendiary it must have been in 1937. Hopefully I've done it, er, justice.

A famous Jazz piece in 5/4 time hence the title take five

This is an odd circumstance; i just checked and it works fine for me.

Anybody have any idea what might be causing this/or some way to fix it?

It seems your link is to the intro video and not to a playlist with all the vids beside it, it has list in the link but it does not look like a playlist.

Top Bottom