LFDM Tenor: Sad Tale With Happy Ending

Bluesy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Months ago, I fell in love with a Sinker redwood LFDM tenor on HMS' site. I ordered it, but cracks in the redwood were discovered during set up. HMS offered a repair and discount, but this is a "forever uke" for me, so I passed. They reached out to Luis about crafting another, and he agreed to do it.

It appears that she's ready to ship to HMS and ultimately to me. I'm about to burst. This is my first tenor. I've got two concerts and a tenor guitar. Anticipation is in the stratosphere right now. I am hopeful this one will complete its long travels from Canada to Hawaii and to NC in good shape. Bluesy.

133055681_3623186484396235_428091642639121503_o.jpg

133070344_3623186001062950_5632509031864012930_o.jpg

133508416_3623187441062806_7680449151430556563_o.jpg

133648081_3623184207729796_1701865866418357081_o.jpg

Oh wow! That looks like a forever uke to me. You will adore this tenor, I am sure. Congrats!

Glad to hear that you will have one to replace the first.

The design on the one you show in the chair is gorgeous. Beautiful use of the woods.

The LFdM tenors are terrific instruments. They really are "forever" ukes. You're gonna love it.

That does look stunning. And while I appreciate the need for the store to be involved to ensure a good setup, it does seem remarkably silly for the poor uke to travel all the way from Canada to Hawaii before making its way to NC.

I've never seen a LfDM in person, but they always catch my eye when they're posted for sale, and the sound stirs my UAS. I don't play tenor, though, so I can safely look at them. :)

I would think that this will be a forever ukulele. That's great that HMS caught the cracks, and you were able to get another one made to replace it. Enjoy it!

That does look stunning. And while I appreciate the need for the store to be involved to ensure a good setup, it does seem remarkably silly for the poor uke to travel all the way from Canada to Hawaii before making its way to NC.

I was thinking the same thing. By the way Andrew and team doesn’t touch the set up on LfdMs. Andrew has commented before that he can’t believe how low Luis can get the set up with no issues. They play like a dream right out of his shop. But to their credit they caught the crack on the first one so the peace of mind of their QC is worth it.

Congratulations Bluesy on an absolutely stunning instrument, that’s a keeper.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

I am lucky enough to own a LFdM and it is phenomenal! The set up from Luis is fantastic, exactly how I like it. It is one of my most cherished ukes.

Redwood is pretty and great sounding but from my experience by talking to several luthiers, Redwood is easier to crack comparing to other woods. The more curly the grain more likely to crack. I love my two Redwood ukes and I have a third one being built now. I am also very careful about good humidity level and not use very high tension strings (or up-tuning) on them.

Can you please contact HMS, after 3 e-mails i have not heard from them and i would like to ship it and get paid.
Thanks

I just contacted them via phone. Check your private messages for the update.

Bluesy.

Top Bottom