Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brexit started already

Default Brexit started already

I just booked a Soprano for mailing to Germany....instead of the usual “print one label” stick it on the box and wait for the courier to collect...now! I have to declare what it is, what it is made from, and what does it do etc:..then print out 5 documents to go with the package..still 4 days to go before we are officially out, but we will be gone when the package arrives..The times they are a Changing. -
    Last edited by Timbuck; 12-27-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

But we've got our sovereignty back - for what it's worth.

John Colter

As an outsider, I have watched the British exit from the EU (Brexit) with confusion. It looks to me like a self inflicted wound that was unnecessary but I'm not a British citizen so what do I know. I think it was a hopeful if misguided attempt to return to the days of Rule Britannia which are long gone. But anyway, good luck with that and we shall see how it pans out.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    As an outsider, I have watched the British exit from the EU (Brexit) with confusion. It looks to me like a self inflicted wound that was unnecessary but I'm not a British citizen so what do I know. I think it was a hopeful if misguided attempt to return to the days of Rule Britannia which are long gone. But anyway, good luck with that and we shall see how it pans out.
    Would you like Canada and Mexico Brazil and all South America to form a union and ask you to join them and change all your laws and trading customs to suit there common ideals and laws... with the the main congress in Toronto led by unelected officials.
    Hey I’m not a political type of Guy I’ve just been drinking again.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 12-27-2020 at 01:05 PM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

That's essentially my take, but like you I'm not in the UK. I don't think this is going to do what what it was originally billed. It's likely going to be a drag on the UK economy, and it will harm UK citizens' ability to live and/or work in the EU, with the increased "sovereignty" offering no real benefits to the average citizen.

“Self inflicted wound” might be one of the best descriptions of Brexit I’ve heard.

Quote Originally Posted by rafter View Post
    “Self inflicted wound” might be one of the best descriptions of Brexit I’ve heard.
    Perhaps. But no one in the US really gets to criticize, because there is simply no way the US would accept the type of limits on its sovereignty that the EU imposed on its members. It might prove to be a mistake in the long run, but I sure can't fault them for wanting to control their own economy, borders, and immigration.

Full disclosure - I went to university in the UK (York) and rather like the place.

But this is getting AWFULLY political for a uke forum!
    Last edited by besley; 12-27-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    But this is getting AWFULLY political for a uke forum!
    Well we need a change of pace every once in awhile. I will try to make this thread more ukulele relevant: Britain leaving the EU is like an ukulele missing its C string - sounds flat!

Well the Brits love their splendid isolation. Soon the Scots will leave them to join the EU.

Thread Information