Brexit started already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuck

Reaction score
I just booked a Soprano for mailing to Germany....instead of the usual “print one label” stick it on the box and wait for the courier to collect...now! I have to declare what it is, what it is made from, and what does it do etc:..then print out 5 documents to go with the package..still 4 days to go before we are officially out, but we will be gone when the package arrives..The times they are a Changing. :)-

Last edited:
But we've got our sovereignty back - for what it's worth.

John Colter

As an outsider, I have watched the British exit from the EU (Brexit) with confusion. It looks to me like a self inflicted wound that was unnecessary but I'm not a British citizen so what do I know. I think it was a hopeful if misguided attempt to return to the days of Rule Britannia which are long gone. But anyway, good luck with that and we shall see how it pans out.

As an outsider, I have watched the British exit from the EU (Brexit) with confusion. It looks to me like a self inflicted wound that was unnecessary but I'm not a British citizen so what do I know. I think it was a hopeful if misguided attempt to return to the days of Rule Britannia which are long gone. But anyway, good luck with that and we shall see how it pans out.
Would you like Canada and Mexico Brazil and all South America to form a union and ask you to join them and change all your laws and trading customs to suit there common ideals and laws... with the the main congress in Toronto led by unelected officials.
Hey I’m not a political type of Guy I’ve just been drinking again. ;)

Last edited:

That's essentially my take, but like you I'm not in the UK. I don't think this is going to do what what it was originally billed. It's likely going to be a drag on the UK economy, and it will harm UK citizens' ability to live and/or work in the EU, with the increased "sovereignty" offering no real benefits to the average citizen.

“Self inflicted wound” might be one of the best descriptions of Brexit I’ve heard.

“Self inflicted wound” might be one of the best descriptions of Brexit I’ve heard.

Perhaps. But no one in the US really gets to criticize, because there is simply no way the US would accept the type of limits on its sovereignty that the EU imposed on its members. It might prove to be a mistake in the long run, but I sure can't fault them for wanting to control their own economy, borders, and immigration.

Full disclosure - I went to university in the UK (York) and rather like the place.

But this is getting AWFULLY political for a uke forum!

Last edited:

Well we need a change of pace every once in awhile. I will try to make this thread more ukulele relevant: Britain leaving the EU is like an ukulele missing its C string - sounds flat!

Perhaps. But no one in the US really gets to criticize, because there is simply no way the US would accept the type of limits on its sovereignty that the EU imposed on its members. It might prove to be a mistake in the long run, but I sure can't fault them for wanting to control their own economy, borders, and immigration.

Full disclosure - I went to university in the UK (York) and rather like the place.

Fair enough. I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes, and as a stranger on the internet, my opinion shouldn’t be taken too seriously. That said, the comparison to the U.S. seems a little apples and oranges. Moreover, refusal to join seems very different than withdrawal/secession. But like everyone else, I hope for the best for Mr. Timms and all the other fantastic uke builders in the UK, along with the rest of the country.

We were offered a vote on whether we wanted to join a Common Market, which we did - but no one was offered a vote as to whether we were to be ruled by Foreigners.

We didn't vote to join the European Union, the Government just decided that they wanted it, the people didn't - & when we got the vote to leave, we were meant to leave, not fudge deals with them!

We should have just walked away 'No Deal' - the EU would have lost more than us.

Politicians are the peoples enemy.

The vote was very close, although many people did vote for Brexit, a really large number didn't. Just saying... There are some of us who aren't that pleased with how it all went down, believe in different things and take a different stance. Sweeping statements don't apply to us all.

There are happy people, not so happy people and really unhappy people over the whole thing.

Last edited:
Sovereigns have sovereignty, what sovereignty do subjects of Her Majesty believe that they have?
OK, I've done it now.
Brexit was about only allowing the "English" ruling class to rule over the English. None of those swarthy Euro should "rule" over the English, no matter if their rules were better or not.
There was a principle to defend here.

Thread is closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom