What's a good room humidfier?

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My whole house humidifier isn't keeping the house above 45% this year. As it is heading towards 40% some days, I'm thinking of buying a room humidifier, since I keep all my best ukes in one room and not in cases (but out of dust). Anyone know of a room humidifier that works well, producing a very tiny mist, and will turn itself off at 50%?

I've been using the Honeywell HCM350, that Wirecutter recommends, for about the last 5 years--works well. Tips: (1) buy generic wicks, they work just as well and cost 1/3 what the OEM ones cost; and (2) rinse the wick occasionally. That said, it doesn't turn off at a certain humidity, but I haven't gotten the room above ~55% in normal use--I suspect it has a hard time drawing humidity into the air above a certain level and self-regulates.

https://amzn.to/2WU3esG

I'm surprised they're sold out currently on both Amazon and Walmart...COVID must still be pressuring supply chains.

I use a Honeywell top fill cool mist room humidifier. I'm not sure if it turns itself off at 50%, though. But, it's easy to clean, has lasted several years so far, and I recommend the top fill type of humidifier, since it's much easier, (IMO), to refill.

Last edited:
Get a evaporative humidifier, not a mist humidifier as it makes a huge difference. I use the AIRCARE MA1201 and I love it. Check out the reviews on Amazon.

One other thing. Inkbird makes a Hygrometer/Thermometer unit that will turn on and off a humidifier and/or heater when the humidity or temp fall below set limits. I wouldn't advise using it with a heater, but you could use it with any kind of humidifier in a room. Mist, evaporative, hot or cold.

Put a fish tank in the room. Not only will you have pretty fish to look at, the tank also regulates the humidity based on the amount of opening you leave at the top.

Thanks for the ideas. When I get one, it will be a small, evaporative, one that turns off when it reaches a certain humidity and turns on when it falls below it. That limits the purchase to just a few of the many humidifiers that are out there. I'll probably go with the Vornado Evap2 (4.4 stars at Amazon) which gets mixed reviews, but overall a nice score.

The fish tank caught my attention, but would have to create a sliding top that opened and closed automatically at certain humidity so we could get away in the winter more than a day or two. They have automatic feeders and water level controllers for tanks, why not an automatic fish tank humidifier complete with humidistat and sliding top. Or as Steven Wright might say, leave the fish tank open on top, get a dehumidifier for the room and let them fight it out.

Top Bottom