Looking for a high quality painted uke

Yes, it is a beauty, and it looks better in person. It isn't actually paint. They use a process something like enameling. I have a different season.

It's a Japanese art form called maki-e which is using a natural lacquer called urushi and pigments including powdered gold and inlays of abalone etc. Urushi lacquer is used in Japan to finish plates and bowls so it is very hard wearing. For a custom job you can commission work directly from maki-e artists (provided you can speak Japanese or get some translation assistance) and the resulting product will last generations. I have a few plain urushi and full maki-e fountain pens and they are stunning.

4111199178_91349c6d99_c.jpg

Another fountain pen person! I love them. I have a golden jubilee queen Elizabeth parker that I love

Another fountain pen person! I love them. I have a golden jubilee queen Elizabeth parker that I love

I'm a fountain pen person, too, but I don't have anything special. Well, my Shaeffer Snorkel from the 1950s is a favorite. I had one when I was in "grammar school," but it disappeared over the years. I got one from eBay.

It's a Japanese art form called maki-e which is using a natural lacquer called urushi and pigments including powdered gold and inlays of abalone etc. Urushi lacquer is used in Japan to finish plates and bowls so it is very hard wearing. For a custom job you can commission work directly from maki-e artists (provided you can speak Japanese or get some translation assistance) and the resulting product will last generations. I have a few plain urushi and full maki-e fountain pens and they are stunning.

4111199178_91349c6d99_c.jpg

They're beautiful.

Top Bottom