Tenor tuned bari question: strings

Ziret

Reaction score
Go ahead and jump in with all your string suggestions, I'm very interested!

But my main question is: If I have a tenor currently strung low G, and move everything over one position, so that the current G String is now in the G place ala DGBE, then put the C string in the B string place, the E string in the E string place, and then circle back around and put the A string in D string place, that should work, right? It would be reentrant, and the only thing that's more than a half step off is the D. It's quite a bit off, though, so I guess if I have a spare E string that would be better.

Also, I have an assortment of wound low G strings, and could fit one of those in the D spot, any ideas about that?

Thanks for your ideas.

If you're going for dGBE, your plan is sound except for that 4th string. To get it down to 'd' from 'a' it would be very floppy. Tuning a low G up to D isn't likely to work either and would be quite high tension if the string didn't just snap. As you said, it would be better to take an extra 'e' and tune down to 'd'. There are sets designed for dGBE.

The main thing to look out for here is the nut. Depending on your slots and the string gauges, you may have to widen some slots to fit.

I think Jim's got your answer . . . but why not give it a try. Can't hurt.

That said, I do have a tenor strung up as a bari. I'm using the Baby Baritone strings from Pepe Romero. I think they work pretty well. I tried them first on a solid spruce top/solid maple b&s tenor. Was really nice. However, that particular uke has some set up issues that I'm not willing to spend the money on to fix. So it is currently my Hi G uke. But I moved the strings to my Pono Master Series tenor (cedar top/mahogny b&s) and it works quite well.

I've also ordered a set of strings from Guadalupe that are also designed to allow a tenor uke to function as a Bari. Once they arrive, I will be glad to post a comparison between the two sets of strings.

Last edited:
If you're going for dGBE, your plan is sound except for that 4th string. To get it down to 'd' from 'a' it would be very floppy. Tuning a low G up to D isn't likely to work either and would be quite high tension if the string didn't just snap. As you said, it would be better to take an extra 'e' and tune down to 'd'. There are sets designed for dGBE.

The main thing to look out for here is the nut. Depending on your slots and the string gauges, you may have to widen some slots to fit.

That's what I thought. I'm sure there's an extra E around here somewhere.

That said, I do have a tenor strung up as a bari. I'm using the Baby Baritone strings from Pepe Romero. I think they work pretty well. I tried them first on a solid spruce top/solid maple b&s tenor. Was really nice. However, that particular uke has some set up issues that I'm not willing to spend the money on to fix. So it is currently my Hi G uke. But I moved the strings to my Pono Master Series tenor (cedar top/mahogny b&s) and it works quite well.

I've also ordered a set of strings from Guadalupe that are also designed to allow a tenor uke to function as a Bari. Once they arrive, I will be glad to post a comparison between the two sets of strings.

Looking forward to it.

Living Water Strings has a reentrant dGBE (high d) set for tenors.

I'm going to try this too, using existing tenor strings. I may also want to try it linear, so will need a low D string. Anything I can use there from various old low G tenor sets I may have kicking around here? I expect not. Or perhaps a silverwound classical guitar string, I assume the D string?

I expect I'd need a wound string for the low D, as flouro or nylon non-wound would be too fat for the nut slot, which was cut for reentrant tenor.

Ohana makes a baritone body with a tenor neck and scale, works well in high and low g.
Deeper and louder voice than a tenor.

Gave it a try today, reusing/moving around the Aquila Nylgut tenor strings. The B string (formerly tenor C) is an Aquila Red. The D string used was an extra Aquila tenor E string. I've never played much bari, so I find this an interesting sound, and it may get this surplus Oscar tenor played more, as it's just been sitting around unplayed here. The string tension seems fine, nothing unusual. Just a quick & dirty cellphone video.

Last edited:
Gave it a try today, reusing/moving around the Aquila tenor strings. The B string (formerly tenor C) is an Aquila Red. The D string used was an extra Aquila tenor E string. I've never played much bari, so I find this an interesting sound, and it may get this surplus Oscar tenor played more, as it's just been sitting around unplayed here. The string tension seems fine, nothing unusual. Just a quick & dirty cellphone video.

That sounds good! I can’t believe you beat me to implementing my own idea. And I bought my $60 tenor with that in mind. Maybe after I get my hang all the ukes on the wall project done, which I hope to do today.

Yeah, New Years Day in lockdown, had some time before cocktail hour! Thanks for the cool idea! I have 2 other more expensive tenors, so now there's a reason to play this neglected Oscar! So far,, I think it sounds better strung reentrant bari than tenor. Ziret, I hope your experiment works out as well as mine!

Last edited:
I just bari-tuned my new Fight Phantom. I used a set of tenor dGBE Fremont blacklines along with a Fremont soloist for the low D. I’m very happy with the result.

I just finished proof of concept. I had to use strings of three different materials/sets so it probably could sound better, but it’s fine for now. I also got all the ukes up on the wall. Now I just need to play them. No cocktails, but I think French fries are in order.

I just bari-tuned my new Fight Phantom. I used a set of tenor dGBE Fremont blacklines along with a Fremont soloist for the low D. I’m very happy with the result.

Great! That’s a very pretty instrument.

Two days ago I put the Meisels/Chee curated GHS Tenor-Bari strings on a Wunderkammer Boswell that I bought here on the forum a while back. Now I am pretty happy with the sound and the nice & easy tension. I believe the Boswell was intended to be played dGBE. I might give my baritone a new home now.
The arrangement or diameter of the ground nylon strings might seem different than the above video. This set is .032,.040,.028(silvered copper) and .032 again for the 4th. They arrived quickly.

I think my sopranos are going to be a little lonely for a while.

Great! That’s a very pretty instrument.

Yes it is. Besides being the most expensive ukulele, it’s also my first ukulele with a wide nut. For me, it’s much more playable than the baritone I used to own. I have biggish fingers, but not much span - and early attempt at piano went nowhere - so this is a good compromise. I may gradually upgrade my entire collection to ukes with wide nuts.

Top Bottom