Photographs and Memories (Jim Croce)

John,

Thanks for another great Jim Croce cover! Your style and his style really seem to mesh well. Happy New Year.

Bill

When I was about 5 years old, my brother had 3-4 albums (remember LP records?) that I used to listen to. There was Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies. Billy Joel Piano Man. Maybe one or two others. And... Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim. These songs are embedded in my 5-year-old brain.

This isn't a song that you hear very often any more. Great song! Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for that, John. I still vividly remember when Jim and Maury died in the plane crash - I was in high school, and he was one of my favorite performers. The up-tempo stuff is terrific, but Time in a Bottle and Photographs and Memories are in my top 5 favorites of his.

My dad passed away in September at 92 years old; he and mom had been married 66 years, and mom just turned 85 this month. As I listened to you you play the song, they are what went through my mind - the pictures from my childhood, and helping them these last few years. And the final, bittersweet minor chord reminded me that there is more to come, as I help my mother through these next few years, while she prepares to depart this life.

-Kurt

John,

Thanks for another great Jim Croce cover! Your style and his style really seem to mesh well. Happy New Year.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! I really appreciate it! Have a great 2021 as we slowly get back to normal! :)

When I was about 5 years old, my brother had 3-4 albums (remember LP records?) that I used to listen to. There was Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies. Billy Joel Piano Man. Maybe one or two others. And... Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim. These songs are embedded in my 5-year-old brain.

This isn't a song that you hear very often any more. Great song! Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks, Loren! So many great songs from the 70's and Jim Croce was part of the soundtrack of my high school years! Happy New Year! :)

Thanks for that, John. I still vividly remember when Jim and Maury died in the plane crash - I was in high school, and he was one of my favorite performers. The up-tempo stuff is terrific, but Time in a Bottle and Photographs and Memories are in my top 5 favorites of his.

My dad passed away in September at 92 years old; he and mom had been married 66 years, and mom just turned 85 this month. As I listened to you you play the song, they are what went through my mind - the pictures from my childhood, and helping them these last few years. And the final, bittersweet minor chord reminded me that there is more to come, as I help my mother through these next few years, while she prepares to depart this life.

-Kurt

Hi, Kurt! Sorry to hear about your dad, may he rest in peace. I also lost my mom at the beginning of this year. I like to think they stay alive in our hearts and memories. You deserve a lot of credit for helping your mom during this time. Stay safe and positive, and take care! Happy New Year! :)

Last edited:
You keep hitting them out of the park, John. Yet another song bringing back youthful memories. :) Jim Croce is still one of my all-time favorite singers. Every time I play one of his albums, I ponder the ways his music might have changed over the years, if he had not died so young.

You keep hitting them out of the park, John. Yet another song bringing back youthful memories. :) Jim Croce is still one of my all-time favorite singers. Every time I play one of his albums, I ponder the ways his music might have changed over the years, if he had not died so young.

Thanks, Jan! Yes, you have to wonder what other great songs he would have written. He had a great voice for those songs about rough and tough characters while at the same time, he sung these love ballads with such tenderness. We lost him way too early! Anyway, wishing you a Happy and Safe New Year! :)

I somehow missed this till now - sorry. A great job as always John. Croce was certainly special and sorely missed.
I’m sorry also to hear about your loss of your mum.

Thanks, Dave! I really appreciate it. It's been a rough year. By the way, I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year! Take care! Let's hope 2021 goes well!

Thanks, Andy! Thanks for the link to the Jim Croce documentary! Have a Happy and Healthy 2021! :)

Top Bottom