Post your 2021 year goals!! Happy new year!!

1. Keep my job (so I can buy ukuleles)

2. Move house (so I have more room for ukuleles)

3. Stay married (could be a problem if I keep buying ukuleles)

1. Build up some repertoire.
2. Write a few simple chord melody arrangements.
3. Get more familiar with the names of jazz chord shapes (think CAGED for f.i. am7) in different positions.
4. Set up my cheap baritone (esp. the nut needs sanding, but probably I'll lower the saddle as well).
5. Get back to Telemann's 12 Fantasias for traverso.
6. Learn (about) multi-track recording and editing in OpenShot or Audacity.
7. Work out a study programme for myself, teaching myself about Old English and Old Norse.

1. Learn Greensleeves well enough to play it in public by St Patty's Day
or,
2. Learn to play What Child Is This by Christmas Day.

1. learn/ practice ukulele everyday (been learning ukulele for two years and playing almost everyday);
2. learn to play chords together with my wife playing violin; and
3. spend less time browsing Reverb/ HMS

Last edited:
"Get more familiar with the names of jazz chord shapes (think CAGED for f.i. am7) in different positions"

Sitting or standing are the best positions. Canoes can be problematical.

John Colter

"Get more familiar with the names of jazz chord shapes (think CAGED for f.i. am7) in different positions"

Sitting or standing are the best positions. Canoes can be problematical.

John Colter

LOL. I could have phrased that better, but I would have missed the laugh. ;)

I've been looking for a job that will pay me to stay home and evaluate YouTube videos. Nothing yet. :(

I was laid off October 2 when my school district, anticipating even more loss of state aid, closed half of the buildings and laid off 423 people. Then the Department of Labor, for some inexplicable reason, failed to approve my Unemployment Insurance payments until just before Thanksgiving. Now I'm getting the payments, but it is less than NYS minimum wage - and about 40% of what my salary was. The $300 federal unemployment boost will help, but since I'm the only income in the family, things have been tough. I've applied for 12 jobs, and had 2 responses; one said that I am overqualified to be a secretary/administrative assistant, and the other had nearly 300 applicants, and apparently winnowed it down to the final 3 before looking at all of the applications. (I applied the day it was posted.)

I'm #2 or 3 on the Civil Service List when they start calling people back, but that won't happen with the 7-12 students all virtual learning, and half of the elementary schools closed. I've seen lots of jobs that want 5-10 years experience plus a bachelor's degree, but even if I met those qualifications, they only pay $13-15/hr.

THIS is why I only play ukulele 15-30 minutes a day - the joy is lacking.

-Kurt​

1. Continue to improve my performance skills. Build on what I've done in 2020. Granted my 2020 performances have mainly been on Zoom and not in person, but hopefully the courage & skills will translate.
2. Continue to "find my groove" song & key wise for singing.
3. Maybe experiment with effects & loopers?
4. Hopefully return to in-person playing by next summer or fall.

Develop a repertoire that I can actually play on demand, if someone want to hear what I spend all that time on. Too often I just learn songs and then forget them.

I am working on that too, on the uke.

Generally speaking, these are my 2021 goals - in random order:

- run 1,000K or more;
- train for and run a marathon (hopefully an official one);
- improve my bass and uke playing by structured practice approach;
- overcome my fear of improvisation / jamming on bass;
- either find some musicians to jam with regularly, or find a good jam hangout (post-COVID)

There are other goals, but they are of a more personal nature :)

For 2021, 21 songs that I know well enough to play by heart, in front of other people. I have the habit of only learning half songs and focusing more on skills than songs, so this will bring that to balance.

Raise your hand if you know where January went, with March only a few weeks away...?! :confused:

In the upcoming months, I'm looking for connection-- with what music I want to spend more time learning and making, and (still a long shot at this point in the year) with other players.

I fell into a ukulele rabbit hole right at the time everything shut down, and can only read about (and vaguely imagine) what it would mean to gather and watch and learn and play (musically and otherwise) with others. I look forward to the day.

~ S.

FIRST POST EVER

1. learn the fretboard
2. work completely through Colin Tribe's "Discovering Fingerstyle Ukulele" (quite the undertaking!!!)

1. Become proficient playing the uke (I've never touched one before but I have a Donner concert ukulele coming tomorrow!)

2. Learn how to play Hotel California, including picking the intro!

3. Work up the nerve to play with others somehow.

I believe that I mentioned that I would try to get back to playing my ukes, well today I took two of them out of their gig bags & played a couple of tunes, so I'm heading in the right direction, if a little bit slowly..... ;) :music:

1. Learn more songs
2. Come up with more arrangements, original or covers
3. Learn lap steel a bit more
4. Stretch goal, learn to use looper.
1. Yup. Bach cello suite 1 was the major one and other melodies
2. Not quite..
3. Oh no!
4. No looper yet

Top Bottom