A fast neck and other terms?

SmileAndUke

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone!

I've tried searching but it's difficult to get the answers I'm looking for so apologies if this has been asked before.

What does it mean when someone says a uke has a "fast neck"?

Also, what are the different neck types?

And when people say "bright" or "warm" or "mellow" what type of sound is that describing? Is bright chiming, crisp and quite zingy? Warm more rounded and a bit less crisp, mellow more like a guitar?

And finally when a uke sound is described as "balanced" what does that mean?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I don't think there's a definite right answer for these questions but here's my take nonetheless.

A fast neck is a bit of an inaccurate term for me at least. It could refer to having a satin neck on a uke that otherwise has a gloss finish. Most players seem to prefer a satin neck because it's easier to slide your hand on it than with a gloss neck. I've also seen some people claim that the fretboard material can affect playability. I've heard it mentioned that ebony fingerboards, for example, offer faster playability... somehow... but I don't really buy that myself.

I've seen discussions about neck types refer to the profile of the neck, particularly at the point where you place your thumb behind neck. Some necks can be described as chunky meaning that they are usually very round in profile and fairly thick. The terms "broom handle" or "baseball bat" are also sometimes used. Many players prefer a thinner or slender neck, and the most revered neck type is the one that has a sort of flat point towards the headstock in the middle of the back of the neck. Kanile'a is a typical example of a manufacturer that does those sorts of necks.

I think you've grasped the types of sounds pretty well there. Sound in general is usually quite difficult to put into words. In a more general sense, a bright sound has more emphasis on the higher frequencies whereas a warm or mellow sound is of course the opposite. A balanced sound would have all frequencies in more or less in equal amounts, i.e., higher, lower or middle frequencies wouldn't be emphasized over one another in the sound.

Happy New Year everyone!

I've tried searching but it's difficult to get the answers I'm looking for so apologies if this has been asked before.

What does it mean when someone says a uke has a "fast neck"?

Also, what are the different neck types?

And when people say "bright" or "warm" or "mellow" what type of sound is that describing? Is bright chiming, crisp and quite zingy? Warm more rounded and a bit less crisp, mellow more like a guitar?

And finally when a uke sound is described as "balanced" what does that mean?

Thank you!
Fast neck: usually a thinner neck but it depends on the player as well, one that allows for faster chord changes. I don’t think this can be defined as a standalone trait and depends on the player. The curvature of the neck, the graduation of the thickness along the length decide the type of neck. There is a wide variety of finer details for a neck. My compass rose has a fat C shaped/round neck, my I’iwi has a flattened D / thinner neck.

Warm: It is best described as a feeling. Listen to samples uploaded by TheUkuleleSite and see when they refer to a uke as warm. You can have uke that has a warm sound with very clear, crisp and strong notes or you have one which is more mellow and laid back. The same is true for bright as well. This is the one place where there is massive variation between brands, luthiers and choice of strings.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube that cover the sounds from a uke. Here is a sample one, for me the spruce uke was bright the rest were mixed https://youtu.be/64-IVmnAJ-s

I have always understood a "Fast Neck" to me one that allows the player to rapidly move up and down the neck playing notes or chords. The neck's shape, finish, frets, fretboard, and action (string height) all contribute. It can vary depending upon the player. The person's hand(s), body and personal preference.

One of the best, most comfortable necks on a ukulele that I have experienced, and what I would consider a fast neck, is the one on an electric Godin MultiUke.

Bright, warm, dark, are terms that are pretty subjective. Here are some pretty gross simplifications:
Your "A" string is going to have a brighter sound to your ear than your "C" string. Steel strings on a guitar are brighter than Nylon strings on a guitar.
I think Nylon strings tend to be brighter than Fluorocarbon strings. They have a crisper, more clangy, edgier sound to me. With more volume and projection.
I prefer the slightly rounder, more mellow sound of Fluoro strings. But there are all kinds of degrees of sound. Some fluoros sound brighter than other fluoros.
Solid maple wood uke bodies are brighter, in general, than Koa or mahogany. Spruce tops sound, in general, brighter than cedar or redwood soundboards.
A soprano ukulele has a brighter sound than the equivalently constructed tenor. (IE: Solid, all-mahogany, similar bracing, shape, strings, etc.)
A trumpet is brighter than a French horn.

As has been already said, it is very difficult to say in words these subjective and sometime nebulous terms. Often the differences are minute and it takes a very experienced ear to tell the difference. Other times it is immediately noticeable. You are not alone in being a little confused about these terms. I'm sure other people will disagree with my characterization of them. Which is the nature of music and the instruments we play.

Thanks everyone, everyone's comments are really detailed and very helpful!

I was watching a gotaukulele review and he talked about a "fast neck". It struck me as very subjective and dependent on the skills of the player more than the actual uke, but wasn't sure if I was missing something. He was also talking about balance (actual physical balance and sound wise).

Really helpful comments about the neck and the sound, thank you.

Thanks everyone, everyone's comments are really detailed and very helpful!

I was watching a gotaukulele review and he talked about a "fast neck". It struck me as very subjective and dependent on the skills of the player more than the actual uke, but wasn't sure if I was missing something. He was also talking about balance (actual physical balance and sound wise).

Really helpful comments about the neck and the sound, thank you.
Balance is when each string has a equally strong voice and personality and it can also be be for the quality of notes across the fretboard. Some really well made ukes sound nice up the neck and you don’t feel that the sound is compromised.
There are ukes where the low G might seem more resonant than the A string as an example of unbalanced sound.

Physical Balance: Some Ukes are Head heavy. Where the headstock and neck pull the uke downward. Head droop? Very common in bass ukes & guitars and some solid electric ukes & guitars. Some ukes, especially ones with an active pickup, a side box of controls, and a 9 volt battery can be rather bottom heavy. Most banjo ukes are very bottom heavy.

Baz likes ukes that are well-balanced. Where he can balance the uke on the side of a finger at the heel.

I use a strap on my tenors, so it doesn't really bother me if a uke is a little head or bottom heavy.

Top Bottom