Giant Redwoods

The biggest, oldest, most magnificent trees ... let's cut them down. Sad indeed.
Redwood is my favorite top wood, but I use redwood that is recycled from planks that used to be water tanks on top of New Your apartment buildings. Some of the stuff has 30-50 grain lines per inch.

A few of observations:
I am glad the attitude toward cutting them has changed and their majestic beauty is being appreciated.
Trees must be 600-800 years old or more.
Very dangerous work
None of those guys have a pot belly like I do.
I was thinking that many of the uses are now replaced with southern with yellow pine.
South Florida used to have many hardwood species now just a few of each are left. Gumbo Limbo is one and Dade County Pine as it was called. Almost had to drill it after it cured as a nail wouldn't work. A lot of the old (1920,s) houses down here are made of it. Have gone through many hurricanes and still standing.

I know, and I won't even watch it. I've seen it listed on YouTube.

When the National Parks were first established, and even before they were declared National Parks, businesses were trying to exploit their natural resources. If they had not been protected, there would be slag heaps and acres of desolation there now - and probably housing developments and shopping malls. Anything for a buck.

When the National Parks were first established, and even before they were declared National Parks, businesses were trying to exploit their natural resources. If they had not been protected, there would be slag heaps and acres of desolation there now - and probably housing developments and shopping malls. Anything for a buck.

Sounds awfully familiar...

The most southern groves of Giant Sequoias are just north of us. They can be 250'+ tall and up to 30' diameter. A 25' diameter tree would be almost 79' in circumference. It's truly amazing to see. We had a fire this year, the Sequoia complex fire, that was pretty bad. In fact it got into the groves of the big trees. I don't know how much damage was done.
If you haven't seen these magnificent you need to see them. It's one thing to read about them and see photos but it's entirely another thing to actually see them in person. I don't get tired of seeing them

On the way to my favourite camp spot in west oz this year we discovered a moon scape that was previously lovely jarrah FORREST they quitly cleared a huge area for a new mine.

My son just completed the Commonwealth Edison climbing certification so he can become a lineman. I showed him this and asked if that is how they do it at CommEd. :)

The biggest, oldest, most magnificent trees ... let's cut them down. Sad indeed.
Redwood is my favorite top wood, but I use redwood that is recycled from planks that used to be water tanks on top of New Your apartment buildings. Some of the stuff has 30-50 grain lines per inch.

Where do you get this?

Top Bottom