Baritone uke string recs?

exfairy

Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking for some new strings for my bari uke (it's been 2 years since I last changed them XD) but am a little clueless as to where to go, what to look for etc...
I play a Caramel uke with a Rosewood body if that helps. And I'm based in the UK so ideally ones that don't cost an arm and a foot to ship!

Presuming that you are tuning DGBE, this is a reliable set that I have always liked:

D'Addario EJ88B Nyltech Baritone Ukulele Strings

-Wiggy

Thanks for the recommendations! I've not had a great experience with D'addario on guitar - I found the sound a little too tinny for my liking. Do you reckon uke would be much different?
And as for the Thomastik-Infield/Savarez strings - are they the ones for guitar? Just want to make sure I'm looking at the right ones!
Also idk if any ball-end strings for bari exist? My uke has pins in the bridge like a guitar and my knots are rubbish XD

Try some Living Waters from Ken Middleton, he is in the UK, so your shipping will be reasonable.

I have always used classical guitar strings. The last set I bought were Ernie Ball, IIRC. They were ball ended, I think, but I have slept since then so I don't remember.

Yes, you are using guitar stings for the bari. the CF 35 is a guitar A string, CF30 is the D string for the guitar. And, the Savarex used for the B&E are actually a guitar G and B string. Works great. The closest to Southcoast strings we've found so far.

Tried a lot of different strings on my Pono baritone, and like the Aquila Red Series set for baritone the best (with two wounds). It currently has d'Addarios on it, but the tone is a little too mellow for my liking. I generally prefer brighter, sparklier sound, though.

I heartily recommend Aquila 156U Sugar Baritone Ukulele String Set. Sweet sweet sound! They kiss the fingers that strum & pluck them. They caress the ears that hear them sing. They are totally monogamous in their love for the Baritone ukulele. If there are Baritone ukes in Heaven, then I am sure they are strung exclusively with 156U's.

Aloha from Hawaii,
bellgamin

Top Bottom