Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NUD: Custom Laulu Ukulele soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig. View Post
    Thanks for sharing, stunning uke, it looks and sounds gorgeous.

I am especially interested because I recently ordered a soprano by Juha myself. I always wanted one since Pete Howlett and Claus Mohri, two of my favorite ukulelemakers, who used to meet Juha at ukulele festivals in Finland especially pointed out his work whenever asked about peers.

I was drooling over alder as well since I like the idea of using local woods from wherever the luthier is from; mine will be all koa anyway. If it works out, there'll still be time for an alder one I suppose.

By the way, I'm pretty sure you've heard about this year's Christmas calender by Markus Rantanen but just in case: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN3...JkkH7Kw/videos - I think he exclusivly uses Laulu ukuleles in these 24 videos.

Have fun with your uke!
    Oh wow, you're building quite the Finnish connection with the two Martins you ordered from the local shop here and now a soprano by Juha.

I've no doubt the koa soprano will be fantastic as well. Juha has some absolutely fantastic woods that he's been able to source, not limited to just local woods. I'm tempted to commission something out of mahogany as he has some extremely nice Honduran mahogany still available. In fact, I'll hopefully get a chance to try one of his mahogany concerts out once he's finished with one he's currently building. I'm really curious about your soprano now. I'll have to ask him about that when I visit next time. Maybe he'll let me have a sneak peek.

I had heard of Markus Rantanen but didn't know about that Christmas calendar / Youtube channel. Thanks so much for letting me know!

Wow. It retains that soprano sound but has a depth and roundness to it as well. Love it!
    Last edited by mikhou; 01-01-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Juha Lottonen makes great ukuleles! All three girls from The Triplet from Oulu play his ukes too. Check them out if you don't know them already.

Quote Originally Posted by ukulelezaza View Post
    Juha Lottonen makes great ukuleles! All three girls from The Triplet from Oulu play his ukes too. Check them out if you don't know them already.
    Amazing. I hadn't actually heard of them. Thank you so much!

That's a beauty! Nice combination of woods.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    Beautiful in looks and sound! Nice way to end 2020 and take you to the new year.
    I'll second this! Congrats, Dohle!

And the name "Laulu" means "song" in Finnish! Fitting!

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    Oh wow, you're building quite the Finnish connection with the two Martins you ordered from the local shop here and now a soprano by Juha.
    As planned, I already sold one of the centennial Martins (which by the way ended up in re-investing in a Martin Baritone ). Anyway, I really hope to pick the Laulu soprano up in person; whenever it's ready and whenever that'll be possible again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    I've no doubt the koa soprano will be fantastic as well. Juha has some absolutely fantastic woods that he's been able to source, not limited to just local woods.
    I actually sent him the koa myself since I had a beautiful set of one-piece top/back lying around waiting for someone to make magic to it.

IMG_0308.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    Beautiful in looks and sound! Nice way to end 2020 and take you to the new year.
    Couldn't agree more. Best way to end the last year and start the new.

Quote Originally Posted by ikimiki View Post
    And the name "Laulu" means "song" in Finnish! Fitting!
    It does indeed. I think Juha has branded his ukuleles really well with its simple name and design.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig. View Post
    I actually sent him the koa myself since I had a beautiful set of one-piece top/back lying around waiting for someone to make magic to it.

IMG_0308.jpg
    That is awesome. You get to see an instrument made out of your own pieces of wood, fantastic. Those are gorgeous pieces of koa as well. Now that I think about it, Juha might've mentioned this project to me when I was there picking up my uke. I'll have to pry more information out of him when I visit again.

Boy, for a soprano, that really sounds full! It sounds like a soprano that John King used to play.
    I love the flame in the wood, too.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information