NUD: Custom Laulu Ukulele soprano

Dohle

Reaction score
Happy new year, everyone! This will be a very special NUD post for me, so strap yourselves in.

In March 2020, I commissioned a custom soprano ukulele from a local Luthier here in Helsinki, Lottonen Guitars (http://lottonen.com/laulu-ukuleles/). Juha Lottonen is an excellent luthier, praised multiple times by Pete Howlett among others, and an extremely nice fellow with whom I always chat endlessly about ukuleles whenever I visit. While he makes ukes and guitars out of typical woods like koa or mahogany his shtick is to make instruments out of locally sourced alder which is not only a quality tonewood but also very ecological. A uke made out of local woods really appealed to me so commissioning one was a given. The initial schedule for completion was around Autumn but unfortunately delivery issues with certain supplies meant that completion would be delayed. Then a couple of days ago I got a message saying the uke was completed and I would be able to go get it on the very last day of the year, and so I did...

20210101_154119.jpglaulu.jpglaulu.jpg
laulu3.jpg20210101_154547.jpg

I think it's absolutely stunning. I asked for a sort of vintage look (black nut and saddle, dark front binding, simple soundhole rosette) and some nice flaming alder which I knew Juha had, and I could not be happier with the result. As you can see from the photos, Juha has taken inspiration from old Gibson ukuleles with the shape of the headstock and the end of the fretboard. The nut and saddle are buffalo bone, and the fretboard and bridge are made out of elm, another locally sourced wood. I think the whole thing just looks incredibly classy, and the nice flaming just adds on top of that. I specifically wanted it fitted with Graphtech ratio tuners because they give the tuning posts that vintage matte look like with an old wooden peg instead of the metallic tuning posts on most friction pegs or Gotoh planetary tuners (both of which were also an option). I don't like the bulkiness of the tuners on the back of the headstock but otherwise I'm happy with how they look and function. I've heard they are known to break occasionally but they are cheap and easily replaceable. The name "Laulu", which is Finnish, translates to "Song", as in someone singing.

The playability of this thing is incredible. It is light as a feather, probably the lightest uke I own, and perfectly balanced. The neck shape is quite rounded and doesn't have that flat point so many desire but it's still narrow and comfortable. Action is very low making it easy to play. The only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the frets that are a bit taller than what I'm used to on sopranos.

The tone really surprised me. Alder is typically a fairly bright sounding wood and it definitely has some of that but there's still plenty of nice warmth too. It's not easy to describe but I'd say it's somewhat comparable to mahogany and koa. It's not quite as warm and jangly as mahogany but there's definitely some of that. The brightness and punchiness reminds me of koa but on the other hand it lacks a bit of that koa spark and sweetness. In any case, the tone is extremely suitable for a soprano body and definitely the kind I prefer on a soprano. Here's a quick audio sample:
https://soundcloud.com/user-628658662/laulu-ukulele/s-gBdgqBxAsUK

I think it's fair to say I'm extremely happy with how this uke turned out, and I'm really grateful for Juha Lottonen for making such a wonderful instrument for me. This will be my most treasured uke for sure. I will now begin my inevitable quest for trying different strings on it. :D

Happy new year, everyone! This will be a very special NUD post for me, so strap yourselves in.

In March 2020, I commissioned a custom soprano ukulele from a local Luthier here in Helsinki, Lottonen Guitars (http://lottonen.com/laulu-ukuleles/). Juha Lottonen is an excellent luthier, praised multiple times by Pete Howlett among others, and an extremely nice fellow with whom I always chat endlessly about ukuleles whenever I visit. While he makes ukes and guitars out of typical woods like koa or mahogany his shtick is to make instruments out of locally sourced alder which is not only a quality tonewood but also very ecological. A uke made out of local woods really appealed to me so commissioning one was a given. The initial schedule for completion was around Autumn but unfortunately delivery issues with certain supplies meant that completion would be delayed. Then a couple of days ago I got a message saying the uke was completed and I would be able to go get it on the very last day of the year, and so I did...

View attachment 131579View attachment 131576View attachment 131577
View attachment 131578View attachment 131580

I think it's absolutely stunning. I asked for a sort of vintage look (black nut and saddle, dark front binding, simple soundhole rosette) and some nice flaming alder which I knew Juha had, and I could not be happier with the result. As you can see from the photos, Juha has taken inspiration from old Gibson ukuleles with the shape of the headstock and the end of the fretboard. The nut and saddle are buffalo bone, and the fretboard and bridge are made out of elm, another locally sourced wood. I think the whole thing just looks incredibly classy, and the nice flaming just adds on top of that. I specifically wanted it fitted with Graphtech ratio tuners because they give the tuning posts that vintage matte look like with an old wooden peg instead of the metallic tuning posts on most friction pegs or Gotoh planetary tuners (both of which were also an option). I don't like the bulkiness of the tuners on the back of the headstock but otherwise I'm happy with how they look and function. I've heard they are known to break occasionally but they are cheap and easily replaceable. The name "Laulu", which is Finnish, translates to "Song", as in someone singing.

The playability of this thing is incredible. It is light as a feather, probably the lightest uke I own, and perfectly balanced. The neck shape is quite rounded and doesn't have that flat point so many desire but it's still narrow and comfortable. Action is very low making it easy to play. The only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the frets that are a bit taller than what I'm used to on sopranos.

The tone really surprised me. Alder is typically a fairly bright sounding wood and it definitely has some of that but there's still plenty of nice warmth too. It's not easy to describe but I'd say it's somewhat comparable to mahogany and koa. It's not quite as warm and jangly as mahogany but there's definitely some of that. The brightness and punchiness reminds me of koa but on the other hand it lacks a bit of that koa spark and sweetness. In any case, the tone is extremely suitable for a soprano body and definitely the kind I prefer on a soprano. Here's a quick audio sample:
https://soundcloud.com/user-628658662/laulu-ukulele/s-gBdgqBxAsUK

I think it's fair to say I'm extremely happy with how this uke turned out, and I'm really grateful for Juha Lottonen for making such a wonderful instrument for me. This will be my most treasured uke for sure. I will now begin my inevitable quest for trying different strings on it. :D
It sounds really nice! Congratulations!

It is a beautiful instrument. I love the simple classic look. It sounds wonderful with a lovely sparkle and resonance.

What a great way to start the year!

Wow gorgeous! And it sounds like it has incredible tone and volume too. A superb soprano!

Beautiful in looks and sound! Nice way to end 2020 and take you to the new year.

Beautiful! I love the clean uke with gorgeous wood look. I've never heard an all alder uke before so I looked it up. Alder falls between koa/mahogany and spruce/cedar in terms of "sound energy", which might have as much to do with loudness (everything else being equal) than with warmth/brightness. It sure sounds great with the 12th Street.

It rings as clear as a bell and gorgeous to boot.

Bluesy.

Thanks for sharing, stunning uke, it looks and sounds gorgeous.

I am especially interested because I recently ordered a soprano by Juha myself. I always wanted one since Pete Howlett and Claus Mohri, two of my favorite ukulelemakers, who used to meet Juha at ukulele festivals in Finland especially pointed out his work whenever asked about peers.

I was drooling over alder as well since I like the idea of using local woods from wherever the luthier is from; mine will be all koa anyway. If it works out, there'll still be time for an alder one I suppose. ;)

By the way, I'm pretty sure you've heard about this year's Christmas calender by Markus Rantanen but just in case: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN3SDnS2dbRdMGYuJkkH7Kw/videos - I think he exclusivly uses Laulu ukuleles in these 24 videos.

Have fun with your uke! :)

Thanks for all the comments so far!

Beautiful! I love the clean uke with gorgeous wood look. I've never heard an all alder uke before so I looked it up. Alder falls between koa/mahogany and spruce/cedar in terms of "sound energy", which might have as much to do with loudness (everything else being equal) than with warmth/brightness. It sure sounds great with the 12th Street.

I think alder is more typically used for guitars or other larger instruments. I'm guessing the tone of the wood isn't quite as distinct on such a small instrument but I think you can hear at least some characteristics of the wood even from the recording I did. The tone is punchier than any mahogany uke I've played, a bit similar to koa in some sense as I mentioned before but lacking some of that koa warmth/sweetness. There's certainly not as much projection as some spruce top ukes I've tried. I think the tone is quite nicely balanced, particularly for a soprano. Glad you were able to recognize the tune from my playing. :D

Thanks for sharing, stunning uke, it looks and sounds gorgeous.

I am especially interested because I recently ordered a soprano by Juha myself. I always wanted one since Pete Howlett and Claus Mohri, two of my favorite ukulelemakers, who used to meet Juha at ukulele festivals in Finland especially pointed out his work whenever asked about peers.

I was drooling over alder as well since I like the idea of using local woods from wherever the luthier is from; mine will be all koa anyway. If it works out, there'll still be time for an alder one I suppose. ;)

By the way, I'm pretty sure you've heard about this year's Christmas calender by Markus Rantanen but just in case: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN3SDnS2dbRdMGYuJkkH7Kw/videos - I think he exclusivly uses Laulu ukuleles in these 24 videos.

Have fun with your uke!

Oh wow, you're building quite the Finnish connection with the two Martins you ordered from the local shop here and now a soprano by Juha. :D

I've no doubt the koa soprano will be fantastic as well. Juha has some absolutely fantastic woods that he's been able to source, not limited to just local woods. I'm tempted to commission something out of mahogany as he has some extremely nice Honduran mahogany still available. In fact, I'll hopefully get a chance to try one of his mahogany concerts out once he's finished with one he's currently building. I'm really curious about your soprano now. I'll have to ask him about that when I visit next time. Maybe he'll let me have a sneak peek. :D

I had heard of Markus Rantanen but didn't know about that Christmas calendar / Youtube channel. Thanks so much for letting me know! :)

Wow. It retains that soprano sound but has a depth and roundness to it as well. Love it!

Last edited:
Juha Lottonen makes great ukuleles! All three girls from The Triplet from Oulu play his ukes too. Check them out if you don't know them already.

Juha Lottonen makes great ukuleles! All three girls from The Triplet from Oulu play his ukes too. Check them out if you don't know them already.

Amazing. I hadn't actually heard of them. Thank you so much!

And the name "Laulu" means "song" in Finnish! Fitting!

Oh wow, you're building quite the Finnish connection with the two Martins you ordered from the local shop here and now a soprano by Juha. :D

As planned, I already sold one of the centennial Martins (which by the way ended up in re-investing in a Martin Baritone :D ). Anyway, I really hope to pick the Laulu soprano up in person; whenever it's ready and whenever that'll be possible again.

I've no doubt the koa soprano will be fantastic as well. Juha has some absolutely fantastic woods that he's been able to source, not limited to just local woods.

I actually sent him the koa myself since I had a beautiful set of one-piece top/back lying around waiting for someone to make magic to it. :D

IMG_0308.jpg

Beautiful in looks and sound! Nice way to end 2020 and take you to the new year.

Couldn't agree more. Best way to end the last year and start the new.

And the name "Laulu" means "song" in Finnish! Fitting!

It does indeed. I think Juha has branded his ukuleles really well with its simple name and design.

I actually sent him the koa myself since I had a beautiful set of one-piece top/back lying around waiting for someone to make magic to it. :D

View attachment 131595

That is awesome. You get to see an instrument made out of your own pieces of wood, fantastic. Those are gorgeous pieces of koa as well. Now that I think about it, Juha might've mentioned this project to me when I was there picking up my uke. I'll have to pry more information out of him when I visit again. :)

Boy, for a soprano, that really sounds full! It sounds like a soprano that John King used to play.
I love the flame in the wood, too.

Top Bottom