NUD: Custom Laulu Ukulele soprano

That is awesome. You get to see an instrument made out of your own pieces of wood, fantastic. Those are gorgeous pieces of koa as well. Now that I think about it, Juha might've mentioned this project to me when I was there picking up my uke. I'll have to pry more information out of him when I visit again. :)

Keep me posted! ;) All I told him was to use the wood I send him and make decisions about bindings etc. himself. I might contact him once again to be sure he uses decent tuners but I'm sure he knows his stuff.

Good to hear that you didn't wait longer than a year; we haven't really talked about delivery time actually.

What stock strings does he use?

Keep me posted! ;) All I told him was to use the wood I send him and make decisions about bindings etc. himself. I might contact him once again to be sure he uses decent tuners but I'm sure he knows his stuff.

Good to hear that you didn't wait longer than a year; we haven't really talked about delivery time actually.

What stock strings does he use?

The stock tuners are either the Graphtech ratio tuners I have on mine or alternatively Waverly friction tuners (really nice quality btw). If you want Gotoh planetary tuners for example that'll probably cost you a bit extra. You'll probably want to contact him about the tuners in any case.

The strings he uses are Galli fluorocarbon strings. They're good quality but very thin gauge even for fluorocarbon. I prefer Worth and quickly changed mine to Worth CMs.

Double post, forum is getting a bit funky...

Last edited:
That's a beautiful uke! I like the idea of ukes made from less commonly used woods, and that alder looks great. Pretty, but not obnoxiously crazy. And the sound sample was a nice listen. Thanks for the write up!

FYI Juha uses alder because it is local, plentiful and a great but largely unused tonewood. It works incredibly well for ukulele but, as you can see, no-one wants a blonde instrument hence the use of a nice tobacco stain bringing out the figure.

FYI Juha uses alder because it is local, plentiful and a great but largely unused tonewood. It works incredibly well for ukulele but, as you can see, no-one wants a blonde instrument hence the use of a nice tobacco stain bringing out the figure.

Yup, that's why I commissioned the uke in this thread. I love the idea of a uke made out of local woods while being ecological as well.

I'll agree on the looks regarding alder. I've actually seen Juha make a few of those blonde ukes but I also reckon that most people will want a darker look for their instrument, as did I. Thankfully, mine isn't all that dark in colour so it doesn't look like a typical mahogany uke. I know Juha can stain his ukes much darker as well.

Oh you finally got it! Yey! Congratulations Dohle, it sure looks and sounds fabulous!

Top Bottom