Season 464 - Birthday Honours

thank you for hosting the week Ryan
and many happies mate
an original song for the season

It's still your birthday for a couple more hours here in Oregon, Ryan -- happy belated birthday to you in the UK!

I can only admit that I was going to say the same thing as Ralph. Here on the left coast of the US it's still your birthday. All the best wishes Ryan, and thanks for hosting.

I had messed about with this for Brian's recent Season about Justice, but when I saw the theme for this Season I decided to pocket it for a couple of days. By the One And Only Ray Davies, who writes songs so nice he made the list twice...

I only knew this one because it was included in the bonus tracks of my re-issue version of The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society. I think it's also on the Kink Kronikles...

Last edited:
Well day 1 was an absolute treat. Big thanks in particular to Lynda, Loftur and Ralf for making a few throwaway songs of mine way better than they had any right to be.

Looking forward to seeing what today brings!

(thanks again to those who have sent birthday wishes too)

Hello, Ryan ... still battling the elements here! Does anyone fancy helping me clear the driveway and start the car, which has been sitting under a blanket of snow for the past week? Anyway, just managed to get this done. I've never been that keen on Bob Hope, but I've always liked this song ... and since Hope was awarded an honorary knighthood in 1998 at the age of 94, it fits the bill.

Song by Sir Paul McCartney with a distinctive Scottish flavour in C tuning with a low g gives the possibility of a drone effect similar to the bagpipe

Here's one from me. Never done a Beatles song before and I have to say I prefer John's stuff to Paul's but this is one of my favourite McCartney ones.

Treated myself to a mic and a 2-channel USB interface over Christmas. Still playing around and figuring out how to get the most out of it but I can already hear an improvement to my sound. Really need to work on the framing on my videos though.

Happy (slighty belated) birthday Ryan, and Happy New Year to all.

My first thought of a musical knight or dame was Sir Paul McCartney. Then my second thought was that that was too obvious, and my third and most important thought was: who cares because Paul McCartney is great :).

This one, from 1993, feels appropriate right now, especially with us about to go into another lockdown here in Scotland. Stay safe everyone!

- Edwin

Last edited:
"Your Sister Can't Twist (but she can Rock and Roll)"
by Sir Elton John and found on the double album " Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. "

The site wouldn't publish the rather long post explaining what the
banjo is doing in this. Berni Barablanca pointed out the problem I was using the "pound sterling" ign and the site didn't like it. Much like as a cat doesn't like it when the frigde motor changes tone !! :smileybounce:

so to say gain. Applying a little licence to the term "baritone". To be honest I get the arseache with playing the ukelele these days as I believe that over fifty years exposure entitles me . And when I started in the days of black and White there wasn't the array of choice that there is today. A staunch fan and user of the soprano I have dipped a toe in the water of most sizes but what I now would like to try is a baritone sized banjolele.....Gold Tone do such a mother ,but at over *400 quid (yikes ) I want to try one first.

As we can't go and visit the shops thanks to some virus or other I thought that I would adapt one of my tenor banjos and try it out. So tuned with a low D and a titanium nylon hybrid (I have no clue ) top E from a classical guitar set and two aquila classical banjo nylgut strings left over from some other Frankenuke experiment carried out at Schloss CeeJay I have removed the reso and we see what we will see.
I would be interested in what you think of the sound.

Cheers.

*Thanks Berni

Last edited:
Don't need much of an excuse to play this one, I'm pretty sure I've done it before with some help from a little birdie, must be almost 5 years ago though.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've done it before with some help from a little birdie, must be almost 5 years ago though.
happy days! makes you realise how long we've been at this uke-ing lark! i got my first uke in 2012 and joined the seasons the following year. time flies when you're plinking!

here's another cover of an original song by ryan. well, mebbe it's as much of a response song, as a cover, i've mangled the lyrics of his song a bit. in ryan's original, the song protagonist is having to listen to a never ending stream of blah, my song adapts the lyrics a bit so that it's all from the blah-er's perspective. i'm imaging someone who's been listening to a shed load of hawkwind, perhaps just splurged on a bunch of hawkwind vinyl, and who thinks streams of consciousness are, like, really cool, man. i dunno who this person could possibly be, but they look a lot like me :uhoh:

"stream of consciousness II"

ryan's wonderful original is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxtsdyWOm4

Ryan, can I get a ruling please on whether all or only some of the Orders are fair game, as well as members who might not be on either of the lists to which you linked? For example, both George Harrison and John Lennon are members of the Order MBE, but are not listed.

Thanks, and happy birthday again.

Ryan, can I get a ruling please on whether all or only some of the Orders are fair game, as well as members who might not be on either of the lists to which you linked? For example, both George Harrison and John Lennon are members of the Order MBE, but are not listed.

Thanks, and happy birthday again.

Considering the list of knights and dames isn't as big as I was hoping, I'll say yes. I'll also include it to stage names too. So the esteemed and honourable Sir Mixalot and Screaming Lord Sutch would be allowed for example. And anything played on a Squier

I'm gonna be a bit lax in responding to videos today I'm afraid. Boris Johnson has given me a lot to sort out this morning on top of a return to work. But I'll try and keep the playlist up to date at least

A classic tune by Sir Ray Davies, also covered beautifully by Kirsty MacColl.

I'd forgotten Ray Davies had been knighted until I saw the list on Wikipedia.

I wanted to get this one in before anyone else. Seems to be a good one for the uke.

A Ray Davies. I remember this being used to great effect over the closing credits of a Sopranos episode.

Top Bottom