Season 464 - Birthday Honours

Going with variant 3...

Here's an original song for the season.
Me and the trusty 8 string and some added tinkling about with piano on GarageBand.

All the photos in the video are by me. (Come and find me on Instagram if you're that way inclined. The usual name...)

Hello again, Ryan! I apologise in advance for this ... I've been feeling more than somewhat depressed of late (not least because of the never-ending snow), and I made it in an attempt to cheer myself up. I doubt very much whether it will have the same effect on anyone else! BUT Julie Andrews is a DAME and I happened to watch "The Sound of Music" for the ??? time over Christmas, so here we are ...

(Oh dear, I've just realised that my "bee" is actually a wasp ... sorry!)

Last edited:
Well no songs today which is a bit disappointing. Hopefully you're all just busy working on something for tomorrow!

a lighter than air homemade-y in response to the welcome and uplifting sight of a lovely blue sky and sunshine today. a cold day but beautiful, even in the middle of town

Well no songs today which is a bit disappointing. Hopefully you're all just busy working on something for tomorrow!

There is a song I am really keen to do this week, but time (ie home schooling my daughter on my day off work) is against me. I will try to do something tonight, but no promises! :)

A run and gun for you, Ryan.

Ahoy

I may be cheating a little here but in 2019 Dylan Kwabena Mills (Dizzee Rascal) was awarded an MBE on the Queen's birthday honours list... and an MBE is a great honour, though it does not come with a title.
This is somewhat experimental and I did not play the entire song - I just wanted to have some fun after a week of being back to teaching.

There is a 40 sec preamble and then I try and play a part of a 140bpm grime song on the uke :D

A public service announcement - Season 466 (Jan 17th - 24th) is available if anybody wants to take it on. See the sign-up thread at the top of the Seasons if you want to stop me picking the theme at the last minute.

Ahoy

I may be cheating a little here but in 2019 Dylan Kwabena Mills (Dizzee Rascal) was awarded an MBE on the Queen's birthday honours list... and an MBE is a great honour, though it does not come with a title.
This is somewhat experimental and I did not play the entire song - I just wanted to have some fun after a week of being back to teaching.

There is a 40 sec preamble and then I try and play a part of a 140bpm grime song on the uke :D

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Some great stuff today, hopefully see what Del's been working on later!

No, I don't know why I thought this was a good idea either. At least I didn't try the accent or I'd have made Dick Van Dyke sound like a native Londoner.

I'd have practised it a bit more first but I'm still on good terms with my neighbours and I'd prefer to keep it that way :).

I was hoping to use Ryan's generous "Any Song You Like for Songwriters" offer to record a few oldies that I have written that never seemed to fit a theme. But I just didn't get time. The Holiday Season here in Catalonia doesn't end until the night of the 6th (Kings' Day).

Then, yesterday, I was lying awake in the middle of the night, very comfortable, lying on my back, but, as always, totally unable to drop off to sleep in that relaxing position. Suddenly, the lyrics of this song started forming in my mind and I worked out the chorus in my head before using a phone as a torch and jotting it down on the pad I keep by my bedside. The next morning I fleshed it out and in the evening improved my primitive melody with an even more primitive one. Then recorded it this morning and edited it this afternoon.

Please let me know in the comments section of the video if you are a fellow sufferer from this "affliction"... or one of the lucky ones who have this "super power".

Hope you enjoy

A cacophonous underpractised offering of one of
Sir EL Tees early (and in my humble opinion best era )
songs, from "Honky Chateau " comes "Honky Cat" .

I should probably be done for animal cruelty !!

Some great stuff today, hopefully see what Del's been working on later!
So... this is a Sir George Ivan Morrison (that’s Van Morrison to you and me!) track and is one of my favourite feel-good songs of all time, and I’ve no idea why I haven’t tried it before. Bari uke, tenor uke, some keyboard stuff and rhythms and a little bit of vocal harmony. In spite of how it may look in the vid, I enjoyed myself more with this one than possibly any other cover I have ever attempted! Cheers Ryan! :)

co-written by a teenage Sir Paul McCartney, and recorded by The Quarrymen

Last edited:
Happy New Year Ryan, thanks for hosting! Between the holidays and a couple of projects i've got going on, it's been a while since I have been able to make time to participate. Here's a quick take of the Bee Gee's cover To Love Somebody, written by Barry Gibb. Cheers ~

Ahoy everybody.
My final submission this week is a classic by Sir Tom Jones

Top Bottom