NUD - Custom Spruce/Koa Teardrop Soprano by David Hanson

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
You might want to watch the video first as it explains a lot about this uke probably better than I can put into writing here. I contacted David Hanson aka Cripple Creek Mandolins back in June to see if he might be interested in making a "bear themed" uke for and in honor of my first grandson. I didn't know exactly what I wanted at the time, but he was interested, and we had a couple of months to think about it while David was in the midst of moving to Georgia and getting his shop set back up. We started talking again toward the end of August and pretty quickly worked out the following specs:

Bear-claw spruce top (special order from Alaskawoods.com)
Koa back and sides
Teardrop soprano body
14" soprano scale
Graphtec tuners
Laser etched back and headplate

The uke was completed in mid-October which left me just enough time to use it for recording the album I wanted to include as part of the Christmas present. I already posted an announcement about that here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...quot-Lullabies-for-Lindy-and-Little-Bear-quot

The tone is on the bright side with the spruce top and Martin M600 strings but there is a good amount of "depth" and sustain also. I really like it. I might seriously ask for something similar to keep, maybe long-neck soprano, and probably minus the beary bits. :p

Pics from David:
LWWhIVXl.jpg

4lsX3Qkl.jpg

tWjPZaol.jpg

h4MsigLl.jpg

Wait a minute! The uke is awesome! But grandson?!? Man you look young!
congratulations on both fronts!!

Beautiful Uke, and love the message to your Grandson on the back. A family treasure!

Wonderful uke. I’ve never seen bear claw spruce before, it’s beautiful. And your playing is, too.

I love the design, and it sounds exquisite judging by the video. All I can say is, if I had commissioned one of those it would be hard for me to gift it to someone. :D

But grandson?!? Man you look young!
Haha! Well, I had my kids when I was 12, so there's that. :rofl: :rolleyes:

That is a beautiful looking uke! That bear claw looks awesome. Congrats
Wonderful uke. I’ve never seen bear claw spruce before, it’s beautiful. And your playing is, too.
I had never seen it in person either. And it was surprisingly not that expensive, considering.

Beautiful Uke, and love the message to your Grandson on the back. A family treasure!
Thanks. His mom also plays so I'm hoping it gets lots of use in coming years.

I love the design, and it sounds exquisite judging by the video. All I can say is, if I had commissioned one of those it would be hard for me to gift it to someone. :D
I know right? :) I'm trying to hold my UAS in check for the next little bit, but I would definitely not mind getting another made at some point.

My David Hanson LN Soprano Teardrop, all Maple, back, sides and neck, ebony for everything else, will be here manana!

Attachments

• DSCF0058.jpg
    DSCF0058.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0060.jpg
    DSCF0060.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 23
Beautiful uke and a terrific present for the grandbaby, Jim!

My David Hanson LN Soprano Teardrop, all Maple, back, sides and neck, ebony for everything else, will be here manana!

:drool: that's what I'm talking about. :drool:
Curious to hear what that sounds like. My guess is it'll be warmer than expected from the maple.

Wonderful uke Jim. Terrific gift for your grandchild. Much better than a silver spoon.

Top Bottom