Tenor uke neck thickness?

brianI

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm drawing up plans for a tenor uke build and need some help with neck thicknesses. I'm a classical guitar builder and thought I'd start building ukes as a hobby (I might have a problem if my hobby is nearly identical to my job...).

I don't have a tenor ukulele nor a published plan but the only information I need to complete my own is the thickness of a typical tenor ukulele neck at the first fret (including fretboard if possible) as well as the thickness of the neck at the 9th fret. This uke will have 12 frets to the body with a 35mm nut width so if anyone has/can take these measurements for a similar sized neck I would be very grateful!

I make mine at 20-21 at the first fret and 22-23 at fret 10.
The neck is quite narrow at 35 mm so the thickness is less important than on a guitar.

Thanks Alain, I'm surprised by your figures as that's only 1mm thinner than I make my classical guitar necks. I seem to recall the tenors I've played having noticeably thinner necks than guitars, is that unique to the instruments I've played?

Why 12 frets to the body? Not saying you can't and some do, but most are 14.

Aesthetically I'm working in the classical guitar realm (not building them identical to guitars, don't worry!), think Pepe Romero junior's ukuleles. I also am a big fan of Hive ukuleles and the two I've played and many that I've seen have been 12 fret. I know he makes 14 fret versions as well but for my aesthetic and musical sensibilities I prefer 12 fret instruments

Aesthetically I'm working in the classical guitar realm (not building them identical to guitars, don't worry!), think Pepe Romero junior's ukuleles. I also am a big fan of Hive ukuleles and the two I've played and many that I've seen have been 12 fret. I know he makes 14 fret versions as well but for my aesthetic and musical sensibilities I prefer 12 fret instruments

That is absolutely fine and it works. The vast majority of uke players never play beyond the 5th fret anyway... You were surprised that the neck thickness wasn't that much different than a classical guitar. The reason is that the instrument may be much smaller, but the size of the human hand remains the same.

You were surprised that the neck thickness wasn't that much different than a classical guitar. The reason is that the instrument may be much smaller, but the size of the human hand remains the same.

More surprised due to different playing techniques of the instruments

I make mine around .680" (17.27mm)at the first fret and .975" (24.77mm) at the tenth fret. That's including the fretboard.

I make mine 17mm including the fretboard at the first fret and between 18 and 19mm at the 9th. I should add that the profile is as important as the actual thickness, but if you make guitars you should understand that. I think many beginners tend to make their necks too thick and too square in section.

I have tried making necks with 18 or 19mm at the first fret but always end up reworking them: I find anything more than 17.5mm is uncomfortable.

I use a 5mm fingerboard.

The neck (ie, not the fingerboard) is about:
12-13ish mm under the nut (so 17ish mm with FB),
and
15-16ish mm around the 12th fret (so 20-21ish mm with FB)

YOu can make a uke neck way thinner (due to very low string tension, but a too thin neck is way more uncomfortable than a too thick neck.

Top Bottom