NUD: Kamaka, concert, white label

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I need another uke like a hole in the head...

But a national retailer had a listing plus mystery pics (you couldn't really see the condition) for a fairly priced used Kamaka concert... and I hadn't held one for a while... so...
Given a generous and easy return policy, I couldn't help but bite, just to see what it looked like...

I picked it up last night. The thing is like a time capsule, sans about three barely perceptible scratches on the opposite from normal side that you ususally see strum wear. I think some dumb kid may have taken a guitar pick to it as it hung on the store wall.
I don't think it was ever played. The finish and fretboard are impeccable. It really looks like a new showroom instrument.
Action is great. Tone is loud, rich, and koa worthy, and I suspect it will sound glorious with a new set of strings.

And the gig bag came with a button for the "5th Annual Southern California Ukulele Festival", LOL

My only complaint are the clumsy fat friction tuners that look better than they work, and some extremely sharp fret ends.
Can someone coach me on sanding the fret ends?
And what about those tuners, anyone know if can they be replaced with UPT's without filler?
I would also love to date it, advice appreciated. (Nothing is stamped inside.)

20210104_230358.jpg
20210104_230406.jpg
20210104_230418.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, nice find Tracie! Looks like a beauty. Not sure on the tuners, but my gold label soprano had tiny post holes, UPTs would have needed reaming.

Thx, John. I think reaming isn't an issue if the UPT's would be forever tuners.
Although I confess I kinda hate to change a near perfect vintage instrument, I want more out of the tuners if I keep it...

Did your sop have these fat tuner heads? My Kamaka sops have had different tuners. These are like the tuners that came with a 2010+ Koaloha concert I once owned. They work but I love to hate on them...

My only complaint are the clumsy fat friction tuners that look better than they work, and some extremely sharp fret ends.
/QUOTE]

Firstly, Congrats! Sounds like a good find.
WRT frets, I'm wondering, it is winter and dry indoors, could your Kamaka just be too dry? If so, then just re-humidify and the fretboard will expand, naturally taking care of the fret sprouts.

/QUOTE]

Firstly, Congrats! Sounds like a good find.
WRT frets, I'm wondering, it is winter and dry indoors, could your Kamaka just be too dry? If so, then just re-humidify and the fretboard will expand, naturally taking care of the fret sprouts.

That's great thinking. This came from a warmer climate but spent many days on a truck on it's way to a cold dry MN mid-winter. I'll do that first.

No, my gold label sop had smaller tuners, with smaller screw heads. I like the look of the UPTs I've seen on recent Kamakas: black, with white oval buttons.

Top Bottom