Snark tuner improvement

clear

Reaction score
Just want to mention that the 2020 Snarks have an important improvement over the older ones (see green circles):

IMG_1688.jpg

I've avoided buying Snark tuners because my first one broke soon after purchase:

IMG_1376.JPG

I like Snark tuners because they are cheap and fast, but I don't buy them because they just don't last very long.

Let's see how long this one lasts.

Yeah, after the 6th one broke on me, I ditched them and went to D'Addario/Planet Waves Micros. I have had exactly one of those go bad, and it was replaced within 3 days.

I look forward to your evaluation.

I love the Snark tuners, but that was a flaw that needed to be corrected. Done!

Yeah, I have on old one, it lasted for a few years, but it finally broke, I gorilla glued it on, we'll see how long it lasts.

I have a snark on which one of the segments of the socket was barely hanging on. I cut a strip of tape and wrapped the socket. It still works years later. I did the other Snark I have at the same time and no problems.

Yeah, after the 6th one broke on me, I ditched them and went to D'Addario/Planet Waves Micros. I have had exactly one of those go bad, and it was replaced within 3 days.

I look forward to your evaluation.

Yeah, I'm only replying to say that I am now a huge fan of the D'addario Micro NS tuners.

I have to gloat and say that I have had the same snark for five years now. I had always planned on getting one of those fancy-shmancy Peterson tuners when the snark broke as everyone said it would. I'm still waiting.

I had always planned on getting one of those fancy-shmancy Peterson tuners when the snark broke
Petersons are the best! Nobody asks to borrow them :) (at least not twice!)

I have to gloat and say that I have had the same snark for five years now. I had always planned on getting one of those fancy-shmancy Peterson tuners when the snark broke as everyone said it would. I'm still waiting.

I have several Snark tuners, which are all still in one piece and function just fine. But I bought a Peterson tuner anyway. My excuse was that one should never postpone joy. :)

My Snark tuner was purchased in 2016... so it's 5 years old now.

No issues whatsoever for me. The joint mechanism is as tight and sturdy as it was brand new.
I've been fairly rough with it too and used it everyday, as you can see from the wear.

Seems I'm a lucky one :D

snark.jpg

snark2.jpg

*edit* that being said, I don't rotate that joint much. I have it fixed in one position pretty much long term.
Why would one have to move it around much? It goes on the same instrument to instrument...the viewing angle doesn't change..

Last edited:
I find Snarks quicker to use. But they have a lot of leeway in their readings. I use my Peterson when accuracy is important. D'Addario mini's are OK. But I find them a little fiddly. I do have a D'Addario soundhole tuner on one of my tenors because none of the tuners fit on it's headstock. Even the Mini. The soundhole tuner works great on that uke, but it's still fiddly.

Fantastic that Snark fixed that design weakness. I've broken two that went into the compartment, in a case. I went to my uke club for the one, and a gig for the other. In both cases, the tab broke off. Probably because I didn't get the neck turned quite right to fit the compartment. I used the Mini I also keep in the case, as a backup.

I have a couple of D'Addario Eclipse tuners. I also have a Snark somewhere but I found the battery lasts much longer in the D'Addario so I stopped using it.

Nice, thanks for the heads-up. I like Snark overall and it's usually accurate enough for most needs but I do have a Peterson strobe clip-on tuner as well. It's been invaluable for testing intonation when setting up ukes. I have a smaller Snark tuner for travel that doesn't have that flimsy design and it's served its purpose quite well. I like the design of the D'Addario mini tuners as well but one of them simply stopped working on me so I'm a bit vary of them.

THAT's their "fix"? SMH. If you catch a cracked/broken tab before it completely breaks off, you can do that yourself with super glue and a thin piece of shrink tubing. I did that on my last and final snark, worked fine for months before I gave it away.

Okay, I admit it, I can't figure out what "SMH" means...?

It looks like Snark have basically gone for the same fix that I did :D

PXL_20201104_094838027.jpg

This has held for several years now.

I haven’t had one break, but my black one (SN-8?) is developing a sticky film, as if the plastic is reverting back to petroleum. The red one seems okay. But I mostly use the d’addario micros or similar that stay on full time, so my Snarks have lived a sheltered life.

My Snark is exactly ten years old. When it broke, I fixed it with sewing thread and Araldite epoxy glue. Both joints are still solid and move as they should. It is about ready for its third battery - or is that fourth?

That "new, improved" fix looks a very worthwhile improvement. They are good tuners.

John Colter

Meh. Snark fixed ONE of their problems but plenty more exist. Until they fix the excessive battery consumption and lack of accuracy I still wouldn't buy a Snark.
I have 2 Boss TU-10 units. Very robust, very accurate and batteries last for six months at least.
Why still bother buying Snarks?

Top Bottom