Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snark tuner improvement

Default Snark tuner improvement

Just want to mention that the 2020 Snarks have an important improvement over the older ones (see green circles):

IMG_1688.jpg

I've avoided buying Snark tuners because my first one broke soon after purchase:

IMG_1376.JPG

I like Snark tuners because they are cheap and fast, but I don't buy them because they just don't last very long.

Let's see how long this one lasts.

Yeah, after the 6th one broke on me, I ditched them and went to D'Addario/Planet Waves Micros. I have had exactly one of those go bad, and it was replaced within 3 days.

I look forward to your evaluation.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

I love the Snark tuners, but that was a flaw that needed to be corrected. Done!
    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing! - Eric Idle

Yeah, I have on old one, it lasted for a few years, but it finally broke, I gorilla glued it on, we'll see how long it lasts.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe | Kala Acacia - Pahoehoe

I have a snark on which one of the segments of the socket was barely hanging on. I cut a strip of tape and wrapped the socket. It still works years later. I did the other Snark I have at the same time and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    Yeah, after the 6th one broke on me, I ditched them and went to D'Addario/Planet Waves Micros. I have had exactly one of those go bad, and it was replaced within 3 days.

I look forward to your evaluation.
    Yeah, I'm only replying to say that I am now a huge fan of the D'addario Micro NS tuners.

I have to gloat and say that I have had the same snark for five years now. I had always planned on getting one of those fancy-shmancy Peterson tuners when the snark broke as everyone said it would. I'm still waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    I had always planned on getting one of those fancy-shmancy Peterson tuners when the snark broke
    Petersons are the best! Nobody asks to borrow them (at least not twice!)

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    I have to gloat and say that I have had the same snark for five years now. I had always planned on getting one of those fancy-shmancy Peterson tuners when the snark broke as everyone said it would. I'm still waiting.
    I have several Snark tuners, which are all still in one piece and function just fine. But I bought a Peterson tuner anyway. My excuse was that one should never postpone joy. :-)
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

My Snark tuner was purchased in 2016... so it's 5 years old now.

No issues whatsoever for me. The joint mechanism is as tight and sturdy as it was brand new.
    I've been fairly rough with it too and used it everyday, as you can see from the wear.

Seems I'm a lucky one

snark.jpg

snark2.jpg

*edit* that being said, I don't rotate that joint much. I have it fixed in one position pretty much long term.
    Why would one have to move it around much? It goes on the same instrument to instrument...the viewing angle doesn't change..
    Last edited by kissing; 01-05-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Thread Information