Snark tuner improvement

Where can you find the new improved model? I like Snark tuners but I have had two break at the tabs. I could not find the improved tuner anywhere online. Thanks!

Where can you find the new improved model? I like Snark tuners but I have had two break at the tabs. I could not find the improved tuner anywhere online. Thanks!

Search for Snark Tuner Vulcanized Rubber, or maybe just Silver Snark?
Pay attention to the collar area (there are likely a number of NOS original design units out there).

I don’t have an updated-collar Snark, but do have the Super Tight (tuning). It works... just fine (I miss the colorful rays display of the original). My one Super Tight does seem to eat batteries faster than others.

~ S.

So, I'd say the Snark Super Tight tuner's accuracy is +/- 3 cents.

BTW, the uke you hear is a Kamaka HF-2.

^^Thanks for the review. Very informative.

NP. I'm glad to post something to fill in this missing information. Snark is the only tuner that I've owned that has no specs on its accuracy.

As a nice bonus, I now have a few good sample sounds of one of my ukes. I might write a program to allow people to play their own virtual Kamaka HF-2.

Nice little test, thanks for that.

I do wonder what kind of results you'd get with different notes/strings. I find that at least on my Kamaka the C string produces much more overtones making certain tuners go a bit mental.

Nice little test, thanks for that.

I do wonder what kind of results you'd get with different notes/strings. I find that at least on my Kamaka the C string produces much more overtones making certain tuners go a bit mental.

Interesting. I'll do a test tomorrow and check. I've gotten enough samples from my uke to go thru the entire scale pretty accurately. It wasn't easy... with those Gotoh UPT low-ratio gears : )

Here, you (or anybody) can also test it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adamtai.tonegenerator

The instrument samples are all obtained over the course of 1 long night. In fact, my sleep schedule hasn't been fully adjusted yet, that's why I'm still up at this time : ) (Oh, maybe I should also add: the app is entirely free; I do this as a hobby. )

Last edited:
Brilliant, now I don't have to buy a Kamaka HF-2 :D

Here's the complete description on Sweetwater:

"The Silver Snark clip-on chromatic tuner is Snark's most advanced instrument tuner yet! Featuring their "Hyper-Snark Software," the Silver Snark is the fastest and most precise Snark clip-on tuner. It boasts longer battery life than previous Snark tuners, and the addition of vulcanized rubber collars make it the most durable Snark available. Many musicians at Sweetwater keep a Snark tuner like the Silver Snark clip-on tuner in their guitar or bass case for fast, dependable tune ups."

1. "fastest and most precise Snark clip-on tuner", but there's no spec listed on time and accuracy
2. "longer battery life", but there's no spec listed for # of hours it'll work
3. "rubber collars make it the most durable Snark", but there's no MTBF comparisons
4. "musicians at Sweetwater keep a Snark tuner like the Silver Snark", so it's saying they use older Snarks; nothing to do with this Silver Snark.

For items #1 and #2, most tuners list those specs clearly. As for #3, I don't think any tuner mentions MTBF, but they don't go out of their way to mention durability (I think people just assume that if you don't step on these plastic tuners, they should just keep working). WRT #4, I guess it's like saying, "McDonald's workers should know what a great tasting burger should taste like".

Frankly, I think Snark should have kept the rubber improvement silent (or at least make a much less deal in their marketing text) and let the customers give positive reviews. Making a huge declaration like this is like saying "yes, we know our old tuners break easily. BTW, we aren't going to honor any warranty claims on this, but we know they break easily on those tabs under normal usage conditions".

I like Snark tuners, I think they are a good deal for your money especially with the new rubber improvement. However, I just can't understand how anybody can take the above description seriously.

I got bought one a couple of Christmases ago. Still going strong...

Sweetwater is also selling TC UniTune strobe tuners for the same $19 price. I think the UniTune tuners are faster, more accurate, and more durable than the Snark tuners. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ectronic-unitune-clip-clip-on-chromatic-tuner
Thanks for the link. Just ordered one. I’m tired of the micro tuners. I find them too hard to see outdoors and I play outside a fair bit. I hate the look of snarks and while my old one lasted for many years, before it fell to it’s inevitable fate and got decapitated, I wouldn’t buy another one.

Top Bottom