Backing for Bridge

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I mentioned that I had made a license plate uke, but the sound was less than deal - somewhat rattly. People suggested a tailpiece, so I spent some time on that today. That wasn't the problem, through.

I suspect I need a thin piece of wood under the bridge, just like the support piece used on wooden ukes. That will be my next move.

I used Ernie Ball strings, with the little bead on the end. Installing strings is easier and faster.

Just a wild guess having built many recycled metal ukes. Try fitting a soundpost like a violin has between the top and back of the instrument. It should be a snug fit. It will certainly change the sound, perhaps even for the better.

Just a wild guess having built many recycled metal ukes. Try fitting a soundpost like a violin has between the top and back of the instrument. It should be a snug fit. It will certainly change the sound, perhaps even for the better.

I have done similar things to lift the tension in soggy sounding cookie and lunchbox tin ukes. Because I use a through stick I put a short piece of wood across the through neck about 30 or 40 mm towards the headstock to prevent the top from sagging and sometimes it works like magic.

Wastella and Titch -

I'm not sure what you mean. This would be a vertical post between the front and the back of the uke? Would I have to screw the license plate to it? Would it go under the bridge?

EDIT: I get it. It's called a "Sound Post." I can glue it to the back, but what about the license plate end?

Violin Sound Post.jpg

Last edited:
Should be held in with tension on the plate side. If glueing to the back height should be a knats whisker above flat to the plane of the plate.

This is the result of me having too much time on my hands, a tenor resonator ukulele with a flat aluminum disk instead of a cone. It is braced against the top with a laminated spruce circular brace. I can provide more details if anyone is interested. It is loud, but not as metallic sounding as a cone.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/59rw2Df6vMTUYAoA6

Brad

This is the result of me having too much time on my hands, a tenor resonator ukulele with a flat aluminum disk instead of a cone. It is braced against the top with a laminated spruce circular brace. I can provide more details if anyone is interested. It is loud, but not as metallic sounding as a cone.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/59rw2Df6vMTUYAoA6

Brad

What it needs now is a smile on the aluminum. :)

Should be held in with tension on the plate side. If glueing to the back height should be a knats whisker above flat to the plane of the plate.

In that case, I would probably have to use the tailpiece. Tension on the strings attached to the plate lift is just a bit.

One thing I learned about a tailpiece: the holes should not be aligned with the bridge holes. They should be close together. The E string tends to slide off the saddle.

Top Bottom