I may have Reverse UAS!

Jeffelele

Reaction score
I might have Reverse UAS!

I like my beat up old white label Kamaka concert so much that I am afraid if I bought another uke I might just feel silly. If it wasn’t for concern that the warped and twisted neck could be bad for my aging hands I don’t think I would be considering this at all.

On the other hand it might just be that I can’t afford a higher end uke.

Does anyone else think they might have Reverse UAS?

Is it even a thing?

Last edited:
I feel the same. I'm lucky that I've found the uke I like.

Now, I have no urge to buy another.
I'm thinking about just keeping 1 (maybe 2) of my ukes and selling the rest.

It's been like this for a few months.
Although I did buy some ukes during the past couple months, I didn't experience that new-uke honeymoon period. I mainly felt it was a chore to open the boxes to verify that the ukes are OK; they don't get played.

So, now I just don't bother buying any more ukes.
(now... if only I can do the same for guitars : )

I feel the same. I'm lucky that I've found the uke I like.

Now, I have no urge to buy another.
I'm thinking about just keeping 1 (maybe 2) of my ukes and selling the rest.

It's been like this for a few months.
Although I did buy some ukes during the past couple months, I didn't experience that new-uke honeymoon period. I mainly felt it was a chore to open the boxes to verify that the ukes are OK; they don't get played.

So, now I just don't bother buying any more ukes.
(now... if only I can do the same for guitars : )

What’s the uke that did it for you?

As long as you don't experience reverse UAS to the point that you get rid of all of your ukuleles, I think it's a good thing.
You found a ukulele that you're really happy with, and don't need to keep trying more to enjoy playing. Sounds good to me. :)

I enjoy looking at what is available, so I frequently look around on the internet, but I'm happy with what I have now, and don't really expect to buy anything, (especially now that the pandemic has effected some of my income.) But, in my case, I don't see getting down to 1 or 2 ukuleles, (though I like that idea.) Right now, I can't convince myself to sell any that I have, but don't want to acquire more...unless something special pops up, LOL.

For a while now I have been at the stage where trying something new is just the first step towards disappointment. I'm happy with the two that I have. Now my motivation is to be the instrumentalist that my two ukes deserve. I am saving up for a custom high-end baritone, but that is more for the sake of acquisition than anything else. I have always felt that reverse UAS is a result of certain personality traits. For example, I am very melded with my instruments whereas others feel that the uke is just a means to an end. Also I have never been impressed with the infinitesimal nuances between tone woods whereas others are obsessed with it.

Good for you!

I would describe your situation as not having UAS, almost normal in fact. "Reverse UAS" would be to sell off what you have. Having UAS and "reverse UAS" are not mutually exclusive, though.

I think it's great to be content with what you have. There's far too much emphasis on acquiring "stuff" when it should really be about the music. I believe you also get more confident playing on one instrument than switching around all the time.

I think it's great to be content with what you have. There's far too much emphasis on acquiring "stuff" when it should really be about the music. I believe you also get more confident playing on one instrument than switching around all the time.

Great post. It is a tool to make music. There is something great about really getting the feel for an instrument to where you feel it is part of you and you know how to make it sing.

Nice thread! I'm planning on getting my baker's dozen or so ukes down to six by the end of 2021. I guess that's reverse UAS.

For me the reason to have so many (not "Jerry so many" :) but still more than I can play) is to learn about the sound and play-ability (with my hand problems) of the various ukes. I can't imagine ever selling my HF-1 (the "standard") or my HF-3 (near perfect intonation throughout the fretboard and I love the sound with Worth browns) even though they aren't my go-to ukes. Everyday the first one I grab is a spruced top Pono with radiused fretboard and a very,very low setup. The older I get, the more ease of playing becomes important to me. It's a tenor, and I might buy one more Pono pro-classic concert with HMS's setup to see if it plays "easier".

So, now that I'm closing in on what I like, I could see selling almost all of them to pay for one beautifully looking and sounding uke - perhaps custom - that was extremely easy for me to play. But which one would that be and how would I know it was perfect for me before it was built?

Nice thread! I'm planning on getting my baker's dozen or so ukes down to six by the end of 2021. I guess that's reverse UAS.

For me the reason to have so many (not "Jerry so many" :) but still more than I can play) is to learn about the sound and play-ability (with my hand problems) of the various ukes. I can't imagine ever selling my HF-1 (the "standard") or my HF-3 (near perfect intonation throughout the fretboard and I love the sound with Worth browns) even though they aren't my go-to ukes. Everyday the first one I grab is a spruced top Pono with radiused fretboard and a very,very low setup. The older I get, the more ease of playing becomes important to me. It's a tenor, and I might buy one more Pono pro-classic concert with HMS's setup to see if it plays "easier".

So, now that I'm closing in on what I like, I could see selling almost all of them to pay for one beautifully looking and sounding uke - perhaps custom - that was extremely easy for me to play. But which one would that be and how would I know it was perfect for me before it was built?

That is exactly what I did. I got a HF-3 (LDS edition) and then I sold off all my ukulele accretions in order to finance the custom uke of my dreams. If you do decide on a custom uke, go for a smaller luthier with whom you can collaborate. Some people would call a koolau a custom because you get to pick your tone wood, but that isn't the same experience as what I underwent.

That is exactly what I did. I got a HF-3 (LDS edition) and then I sold off all my ukulele accretions in order to finance the custom uke of my dreams. If you do decide on a custom uke, go for a smaller luthier with whom you can collaborate. Some people would call a koolau a custom because you get to pick your tone wood, but that isn't the same experience as what I underwent.

It is great to get a custom instrument. There is something special about knowing you have a one of a kind instrument made just for you. There are a few things worth considering. Go with someone whose concepts are the same or similar to yours and your needs. Many builders are flexible, but if you go with someone who specializes in beefy sounding tenors, that person might not be the best choice for a light spunky soprano. Try to get familiar with specs and know what you want. It helps to have an idea whether you like wide fretboards or radius, etc. Above all, trust the builder's ideas and suggestions.

Top Bottom