Spruce top - Flight Voyager or Koahola Opio Spruce

heyeliza

Reaction score
Hi UU,
I've been loving the bright sound of a spruce top uke and looking into getting a concert or tenor. I wish there is a way to try and compare both in person.

I've been listening to sound samples of the Voyager and the Koaloha opio. Reviews on both seems decent. Thoughts on which one? I like that the Voyager has a pick-up although not as important. Not really looking for a custom, any others I should consider?

I would definitely recommend Pono realizing that some have a strong dislike of their neck profile. I thought I liked thinner necks and these would not be for me - but I bought a MTSH-SP kind of on a lark, mainly to try out a radius fretboard. It is now one of my favorites. A really great instrument.

Personally think Opio has more sustain and a richer sound even in higher fret positions, and I am a fan of KoAloha's unibrace. It is an instrument handcrafted by a small workshop, while Voyager is still very much a mass produced factory instrument.

You may also take the nut width into consideration though.
Some prefer wider ones like Opio (38mm), while some are prefectly happy with a 35mm one like Voyager.

Last edited:
Thank you both! Appreciate your feedback. I did not think of Pono and but will definitely look into it.

I love Koaloha, as a company, as a builder and definitely for their sound. They are open with great sustain, resonance and projection. I have owned a couple concerts and have owned a few Ponos. Pono is an excellent instrument but if you really like the Koaloha then go for that with no worries or regrets.

Thanks, Dave! I think the I'll be going for Koaloha opio spruce in concert. Saw that it's not available at Mims right now but maybe that is good thing.

Top Bottom