What to do to care for ukes in tropical weather

Su S

Reaction score
If you live in a hot and humid tropical country, how do you take care of your solid wood ukes specifically koa?

I live in east central Florida. My house is air conditioned so I don't do anything special regarding ukes and guitars.

A general rule of thumb is if you're comfortable then your instruments will be fine.

I live in east central Florida. My house is air conditioned so I don't do anything special regarding ukes and guitars.

A general rule of thumb is if you're comfortable then your instruments will be fine.

This is good advice, air conditioning dries out the air. If you are concerned then buy a hygrometer, it measures relative humidity in the house. If you are over 70% inside the house think of keeping the ukulele in a hard case with something inside to absorb moisture, like silica gel.

They usually are built in and for tropical climate. That's where they are the most happy and sound best. We have to consider special care when they have to live in climates with winter and heating.

I never worried or even thought about the humidity, but if you live near the ocean the salt air will do a number on the tuners.

corroded tuners.jpg

If you live in a hot and humid tropical country, how do you take care of your solid wood ukes specifically koa?

Just like anything else that's fragile and requires care when handling. Don't leave it in the sun or in the car. Otherwise, nothing special. Humidity isn't a problem except that some fretboards will start growing mold if you neglect playing an instrument.

I take really good care of my instruments and they’re always in their cases when I’m not playing them. I only play at home so no chance of them being left in the sun/rain/car.

I intend to leave packets of silica gel in the hard case. Should I leave some in the uke too?

I love how koa looks and sounds. I chose this wood specifically for the reason that it came from a place with a somewhat similar climate. I feel it almost obligatory that I should have at least one uke made of koa so I’m glad I can check off that box.

Last edited:
Avoid termites, rainstorms and tsunamis. Otherwise, no worries ukuleles are a tropical instrument.

What you want is knowledge..........know what the humidity level is BEFORE you do anything. Silica gel can be overdone, the most damage cause to an instrument is from drying out. The thin sound board can crack and seams separate. Buy a good quality hygrometer and find out what the humidity is before doing ANYTHING.

Since we’re in the tropics, the temperature fluctuates between 22

What you want is knowledge..........know what the humidity level is BEFORE you do anything. Silica gel can be overdone, the most damage cause to an instrument is from drying out. The thin sound board can crack and seams separate. Buy a good quality hygrometer and find out what the humidity is before doing ANYTHING.

Since we

Last edited:
I live near the beach in East Honolulu, so pretty dad burn tropical. No problems with any of my instruments after decades of use. I do keep them in the case when not in use but don't use AC or dehumidifiers. On the other hand, when I lived in Washington my instruments used to dry out in the winter and suffer finish damage.

Top Bottom