Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do to care for ukes in tropical weather

Default What to do to care for ukes in tropical weather

If you live in a hot and humid tropical country, how do you take care of your solid wood ukes specifically koa?

I live in east central Florida. My house is air conditioned so I don't do anything special regarding ukes and guitars.

A general rule of thumb is if you're comfortable then your instruments will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post
    I live in east central Florida. My house is air conditioned so I don't do anything special regarding ukes and guitars.

A general rule of thumb is if you're comfortable then your instruments will be fine.
    This is good advice, air conditioning dries out the air. If you are concerned then buy a hygrometer, it measures relative humidity in the house. If you are over 70% inside the house think of keeping the ukulele in a hard case with something inside to absorb moisture, like silica gel.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

They usually are built in and for tropical climate. That's where they are the most happy and sound best. We have to consider special care when they have to live in climates with winter and heating.

I never worried or even thought about the humidity, but if you live near the ocean the salt air will do a number on the tuners.

corroded tuners.jpg
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Su S View Post
    If you live in a hot and humid tropical country, how do you take care of your solid wood ukes specifically koa?
    Just like anything else that's fragile and requires care when handling. Don't leave it in the sun or in the car. Otherwise, nothing special. Humidity isn't a problem except that some fretboards will start growing mold if you neglect playing an instrument.

I take really good care of my instruments and they’re always in their cases when I’m not playing them. I only play at home so no chance of them being left in the sun/rain/car.

I intend to leave packets of silica gel in the hard case. Should I leave some in the uke too?

I love how koa looks and sounds. I chose this wood specifically for the reason that it came from a place with a somewhat similar climate. I feel it almost obligatory that I should have at least one uke made of koa so I’m glad I can check off that box.
    Last edited by Su S; 01-08-2021 at 05:37 PM.

Avoid termites, rainstorms and tsunamis. Otherwise, no worries ukuleles are a tropical instrument.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

What you want is knowledge..........know what the humidity level is BEFORE you do anything. Silica gel can be overdone, the most damage cause to an instrument is from drying out. The thin sound board can crack and seams separate. Buy a good quality hygrometer and find out what the humidity is before doing ANYTHING.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Since we’re in the tropics, the temperature fluctuates between 22

Thread Information