Well I think I ordered "my" holy grail.

gratz! that's my dream ukulele as well.

Let us know how it is when you get it.

Just listened to a sound sample. Not only beautifully crafted, but such a classic sound.

Love that' you've ordered your musical heart's desire.

Bluesy.

I got mine last May with stimulus $$$'s...awesome instrument, loud and full tone! :D Immediately put Living Water Low G strings on it and had a Misi trio pickup installed.
IMG_20200528_101947049_HDR.jpg

Most people never get to get there dream instrument. You are very fortunate. Will be looking for videos.
(I hope the "holy grail" status lasts a long time. THIS IS NOT THE CURE FOR UAD it probably a decent vaccine, but the antibodies my diminish after a time.

Congratulations! It's a terrific tenor.

I enjoy my 1T IZ as well. It is a boomer.

I had the tech at the guitar repair shop replace the original Peghed tuners with Gotoh Black UPTL tuners. And a setup lowering the action a tad.

I don't like Nylon strings. I also had him put a set of Low-G Living Waters flurocarbons on it. But I wasn't happy with the results. They sounded a little dull. I normally love LW strings on my tenors.

Replaced those with Martin 620 fluorocarbons. They were OK, but maybe a touch too bright. Great for finger style picking.

Now have Fremont Black Lines on it. The sound is kind of dark. The strings are very bendy and easy to play. But occasionally I find myself pulling the A-string off the fretboard when I practice pull offs.

I may try a wound Low-G, but the uke is already quite loud on the lows. Or I may string it re-entrant and see if I like that.

Last edited:
Most people never get to get there dream instrument. You are very fortunate. Will be looking for videos.
(I hope the "holy grail" status lasts a long time. THIS IS NOT THE CURE FOR UAD it probably a decent vaccine, but the antibodies my diminish after a time.

I think I totally agree.

Congratulations! It's a terrific tenor.

I enjoy my 1T IZ as well. It is a boomer.

I had the tech at the guitar repair shop replace the original Peghed tuners with Gotoh Black UPTL tuners.

My "Dream" instrument would NOT have Peghed tuners.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new ukulele! I played one at Gryphon Strings a while back. Excellent instrument

Curious as to why you don't care for the peghed tuners.

I've got them on my Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly, and they just don't work well. To get them to turn easily you pull out on them, but then they don't really hold well. So you push them back in, after which they are hard to turn and squeak. No where near as good as the smooth functioning Gotoh UPT tuners I have on my Farallon - at about the same cost. About all the Pedheds have going for them is the small classic shape. I can't imagine anyone trying the UPTs and Pegheds side by side choosing the Pegheds.

I've got them on my Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly, and they just don't work well. To get them to turn easily you pull out on them, but then they don't really hold well. So you push them back in, after which they are hard to turn and squeak. No where near as good as the smooth functioning Gotoh UPT tuners I have on my Farallon - at about the same cost. About all the Pedheds have going for them is the small classic shape. I can't imagine anyone trying the UPTs and Pegheds side by side choosing the Pegheds.

Thanks. I'll see how I get along with them and change them out if need be. I have Graph Tech tuners on one of my ukes and I like them a lot.

My problem with them is pretty close to Besley's. You pull them out to disengage the gears. Then you get close to in-tune. Push it in, to re-engage the gears. You have to jiggle it to get the teeth aligned. Then you have to fine tune it by turning it while it is sort of tight. When you get it in tune, push in and hope that it doesn't move away from the exact spot.

I have three tenors that have the Pegheds. I've gotten used to them, but I still don't like them.

My problem with them is pretty close to Besley's. You pull them out to disengage the gears. Then you get close to in-tune. Push it in, to re-engage the gears. You have to jiggle it to get the teeth aligned. Then you have to fine tune it by turning it while it is sort of tight. When you get it in tune, push in and hope that it doesn't move away from the exact spot.

I have three tenors that have the Pegheds. I've gotten used to them, but I still don't like them.

Well not to make this a Peghed bashing thread.....but I only got them because the only other factory choice was friction tuners. (Ugh!) I had no idea that there was finesse involved in getting these "geared" Peghed tuners to work.

My IZ arrives tomorrow so I'll have my first chance to evaluate.

According to the Peghed website and instructions, you push in and turn to increase tension, you pull out and turn to decrease tension. It is a PIA, but if you get them adjusted properly, they should be good. I'm not a big fan either, but they work and look cool.

IZ arrived about 7PM yesterday. I only played it for a short time then tuned it up to pitch and hung it on my wall to acclimate to the environment it will live in. Initial impressions are it looks and plays great, the tone is wonderful and it's quite LOUD. More after I have some more time to play it.

Top Bottom