Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well I think I ordered "my" holy grail.

Congrats on your new ukulele! I played one at Gryphon Strings a while back. Excellent instrument
    I'Iwi Tenor
    Graziano Baritone
    Koaloha Concert
    Kamaka Pineapple

Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post
    Curious as to why you don't care for the peghed tuners.
    I've got them on my Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly, and they just don't work well. To get them to turn easily you pull out on them, but then they don't really hold well. So you push them back in, after which they are hard to turn and squeak. No where near as good as the smooth functioning Gotoh UPT tuners I have on my Farallon - at about the same cost. About all the Pedheds have going for them is the small classic shape. I can't imagine anyone trying the UPTs and Pegheds side by side choosing the Pegheds.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    I've got them on my Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly, and they just don't work well. To get them to turn easily you pull out on them, but then they don't really hold well. So you push them back in, after which they are hard to turn and squeak. No where near as good as the smooth functioning Gotoh UPT tuners I have on my Farallon - at about the same cost. About all the Pedheds have going for them is the small classic shape. I can't imagine anyone trying the UPTs and Pegheds side by side choosing the Pegheds.
    Thanks. I'll see how I get along with them and change them out if need be. I have Graph Tech tuners on one of my ukes and I like them a lot.

My problem with them is pretty close to Besley's. You pull them out to disengage the gears. Then you get close to in-tune. Push it in, to re-engage the gears. You have to jiggle it to get the teeth aligned. Then you have to fine tune it by turning it while it is sort of tight. When you get it in tune, push in and hope that it doesn't move away from the exact spot.

I have three tenors that have the Pegheds. I've gotten used to them, but I still don't like them.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Personal preference strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    My problem with them is pretty close to Besley's. You pull them out to disengage the gears. Then you get close to in-tune. Push it in, to re-engage the gears. You have to jiggle it to get the teeth aligned. Then you have to fine tune it by turning it while it is sort of tight. When you get it in tune, push in and hope that it doesn't move away from the exact spot.

I have three tenors that have the Pegheds. I've gotten used to them, but I still don't like them.
    Well not to make this a Peghed bashing thread.....but I only got them because the only other factory choice was friction tuners. (Ugh!) I had no idea that there was finesse involved in getting these "geared" Peghed tuners to work.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Personal preference strikes again!
    Yep. I agree. One person's: "Awesome!" Is another person's: "Meh."

They came standard on some Collings Tenors; Kinnard Series 2 tenor; Cocobolo Tenor & the Martin 1T IZ.

They work, but I think they're a PIA.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

My IZ arrives tomorrow so I'll have my first chance to evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post

According to the Peghed website and instructions, you push in and turn to increase tension, you pull out and turn to decrease tension. It is a PIA, but if you get them adjusted properly, they should be good. I'm not a big fan either, but they work and look cool.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe | Kala Acacia - Pahoehoe

IZ arrived about 7PM yesterday. I only played it for a short time then tuned it up to pitch and hung it on my wall to acclimate to the environment it will live in. Initial impressions are it looks and plays great, the tone is wonderful and it's quite LOUD. More after I have some more time to play it.

Thread Information