Worth repairing a Kamaka Keiki?

Yes, it would matter to the value.
The question is what do you plan to do with this uke once repaired?

I'm really just planning to play it. I'm kinda sentimental, and I'm not sure I could ever sell a cool old uke that was part of my wedding.

I'm really just planning to play it. I'm kinda sentimental, and I'm not sure I could ever sell a cool old uke that was part of my wedding.

If it is sentiments, then I think it is better to have Kamaka repair it.
If it is just for playing, I'm wondering, perhaps a new uke is the better solution.

Hey, your uke has a wonderful story, and it IS a wonderful uke. Fix it up and treasure it!
You will not believe the difference in sound compared to your laminate Kala once you get this solid wood Keiki fixed up, repairs and all. Put on new strings, of course.
Please don't forget to humidify.
And don't bother sending all the way to Kamaka. My luthier charges $10/inch for crack repair and does a really fine job.
Report back, I love stories like this...

Hey, your uke has a wonderful story, and it IS a wonderful uke. Fix it up and treasure it!
You will not believe the difference in sound compared to your laminate Kala once you get this solid wood Keiki fixed up, repairs and all. Put on new strings, of course.
Please don't forget to humidify.
And don't bother sending all the way to Kamaka. My luthier charges $10/inch for crack repair and does a really fine job.
Report back, I love stories like this...

I definitely will! I'm (not-so) patiently waiting to hear back from the luthier to see how much it's going to cost. I'm going to see about having him restring it while he has it, too, since I don't know much about uke strings. Probably something I should learn...

It would not matter one bit if you send it to Kamaka to have it repaired or have it done by your local luthier if he knows what he is doing. The repair luthiers at Kamaka are not any different than anyone else, they just get a paycheck from Kamaka. Kamaka will do a good job but it will be expensive with shipping and their labor, and it will take a long, long time. Enjoy this ukulele, play it and it will make you happy.

Heard back from the local luthier over the weekend. Unfortunately it's going to cost about what Kamaka quoted, but at least I won't have to pay to ship it, and it'll be done in a couple weeks instead of most of a year.

Heard back from the local luthier over the weekend. Unfortunately it's going to cost about what Kamaka quoted, but at least I won't have to pay to ship it, and it'll be done in a couple weeks instead of most of a year.

if that's the case, I would sent it to Kamaka - but to each his/her own. Did Kamaka say it would take a year? Their website says 4-6 months, but you probably would get it back quicker than that, no?

if that's the case, I would sent it to Kamaka - but to each his/her own. Did Kamaka say it would take a year? Their website says 4-6 months, but you probably would get it back quicker than that, no?

They told me nine months when I spoke to them on the phone. Plus I'd have to pay to ship the uke to Hawaii, and worry about damage in shipping... This guy seems like he knows what he's doing. He actually repaired some very similar issues on another Keiki Kamaka in the past year.

They told me nine months when I spoke to them on the phone. Plus I'd have to pay to ship the uke to Hawaii, and worry about damage in shipping... This guy seems like he knows what he's doing. He actually repaired some very similar issues on another Keiki Kamaka in the past year.

This. If your luthier knows what he's doing it will be fine.
You just wanna play the thing! :)

Top Bottom