Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Enya Nova Tenor news

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    The switch to metal frets (promised) sets this ukulele completely apart in its class. That isn’t just “bigger, heavier, and more expensive.”
    The metal frets are the deal "maker" for me with this instrument. Can't wait to see one.

And if you go to the Enya site and look at the Concert of Soprano Novas with plastic frets, they now say "NOT compatible with wound strings or strings containing metallic compounds". Sounds as if they've seen a fair amount of fret wear.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I don’t think that string disclaimer is all that new

Does anyone know if Enya will make the metal frets available on the other scales as well? I have no interest in a tenor but I would be interested in a concert with metal frets. The plastic frets are kind of a deal breaker for me.

I didn't think I'd ever want an outdoor(plastic) uke but the other night I was playing with a group of people outdoors and it started to rain. We were under a pavilion but the roof had 3 tiers with a sizable gap between each tier. If it were calm and raining straight down it wouldn't be an issue but it was breezy so me and my uke were getting wet. I had to wipe it dry several times throughout the evening.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

I will say that I still play my concert Nova U daily (with plastic frets) and have never seen any wear on the frets. I use Living Water strings.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    And if you go to the Enya site and look at the Concert of Soprano Novas with plastic frets, they now say "NOT compatible with wound strings or strings containing metallic compounds". Sounds as if they've seen a fair amount of fret wear.
    The wound strings are understandable for plastic fret wear and obvious to spot but how do you know if other strings have metallic compounds or not?
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    The wound strings are understandable for plastic fret wear and obvious to spot but how do you know if other strings have metallic compounds or not?
    The main strings that Enya Nova owners are complaining about are the Aquilla Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    The main strings that Enya Nova owners are complaining about are the Aquilla Reds.
    So any strings with color have metal compounds? Reds, Worth Browns, Fremont Blacks, etc? Are there any complaints of fret wear from people who use clear fluorocarbons?

@bazmaz posted a sneak peek on Reddit. Review of this coming to gotaukulele.com in a couple of weeks

I am working on Ukulele deacquisition right now so I wouldn’t have gotten one anyway, but the lack of colours is disappointing. Colour was one of the draws for me to the original Novas.

So any strings with color have metal compounds?
    Aquila Reds specifically have metal inclusions. It’s mentioned in the string description. That isn’t the case for all colored strings. Worth Browns and Fremont Blacklines should be fine - they both claim to be pure fluorocarbon. I’ve used both Blackline and Browns on a plastic fretboard with no problem (but note: the plural of anecdote is not data). Reds (on a different uke) were noticeably rougher than the Browns or Blacklines.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    The metal frets are the deal "maker" for me with this instrument. Can't wait to see one.

I just ordered one today. I wasn't included in the list of reviewers who received them early for review purposes, which is just fine...I have enjoyed my Enya Nova U Concert immensely (with no noticeable fret wear) and have the custom Neck Illusions "UkeStuff" fretboard decal on it. So, I'll review mine when it is available in July!
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    So any strings with color have metal compounds? Reds, Worth Browns, Fremont Blacks, etc? Are there any complaints of fret wear from people who use clear fluorocarbons?
    We don't really know. I've tried to track this down a bit, and people are elusive. There were a bunch of people who wanted red strings on their black ukuleles...and this caused damage. And then there were some people who changed strings and then swapped back to their "spare" Enya strings to take a picture of the damage.

I've been using mine for...is it two years already?...with no noticeable fret wear, and I've played it a lot. Could there have been some models with "softer" plastic? Sure.

As for the notices by companies, Outdoor Ukulele and Magic Fluke post similar warnings. You can replace the fretboard on a Magic Fluke, but then you're paying 3 to 4 times as much as an Enya Nova U (Concert) when doing so.

In talking with Enya in the past, there are no plans to modify the original moulds of concert or soprano. I once asked Outdoor Ukulele if they would make a concert model, and they told me it would cost more than $100,000 to make the moulds. I know I can't tell a company to spend $100,000 just so I can have a single instrument. That's a lot of ukuleles to sell before you make a profit.
    Last edited by Choirguy; 05-22-2021 at 03:19 AM.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Thread Information