Reharmonization with bitonality.

Bitonality "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" for Bariton ukulele

standard harmonized 00:00
Melody D major, Backup D major

reharmonized with using of bitonality 00:32
Melody F major, Backup Bb major

Very interesting and beautiful, Ondrej! The sound reminds me of the Carillon Bell Tower that we have in one of the parks here in my town! I like it!

Bitonality "Oh My Darling Clementine" for Bariton ukulele

standard harmonized 00:00​
Melody E major, Backup E major
reharmonized with using of bitonality 00:22​
Melody E major, Backup C major

Bitonality "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" for CGDA ukulele

standard harmonized 00:00
Melody G major, Backup G major
reharmonized with using of bitonality 00:33
Melody G major, Backup Eb major

"The Cruel War" for CGDA ukulele
standard harmonized 00:00 Melody D major, Backup D major reharmonized with using of bitonality 00:20 Melody D major, Backup F major

That's some pretty unique stuff! o_O Interesting to hear what happens when you intentionally play so far outside the box.

Just FYI, my browser says "Potential Security Risk" when I tried to download your preview PDF.

I'm used to hearing bitonal music in the classical genre. But I can't say that I've ever heard simple little familiar tunes played that way before. Very interesting. It has its own sort of charm. But, I do think, "Why?" I can't think of any practical application for it. Although an interesting curiosity, I doubt that people would want to sit through much of it. Perhaps you're doing it as an intellectual exercise just for yourself. If so, that's great! When playing the Horn, I used to run through ascending and descending scales in all the modes, Lydian, Aeolian, Phrygian, etc. No good reason for it, except to keep my mind and ears sharp. Have you worked out a set of bitonal chord shapes to substitute for normal chords? If so, care to share them with us?

I think you answered your own question: charm is the reason. In a performing context the practical application is to start out straight with the boring version of "Twinkle twinkle" that everyone heard a million times. Then reharmonize to show the crowd you're not a schmuck and you value them enough to take them on this excursion. Ondrej's technique is interesting I had my own system based on observations of Charles Mingus and some newbies like Jacob Collier. However my system was very Rococo

Thank you for all the response. Little did I know that bitonality was so well known.
Ripock described it well. Yes, I chose such simple folk songs that the harmonization to help bitonality should be better known.

Top Bottom