Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Second Uke Recommendation

Default Help! Second Uke Recommendation

I

Welcome to UU, Archile!

Your post cut off, as you noticed. Try posting again and leave out fancy punctuation or special characters. Do not give up on us yet!

Oh my, I thought I double checked after posting, I guess I

Quote Originally Posted by Archile View Post
    Oh my, I thought I double checked after posting, I guess I
    This strange, don’t know why I keep getting cut off. Will try again tomorrow from different computer.

Default Help! Suggestions for Buying My Second Uke

Hopefully third time is the charm... Here is my original post:

I'm going crazy trying to pick out a new ukulele during covid. I live in Canada, so I don't have access to any specialized ukulele shops, and shipping from the US or Britain is very expensive. I can hunt down many brands--spread across different music stores--but the advice I get over the phone from the guitar players working there isn't always helpful. I would like a tenor with a built in pickup. I think I've found a few different options based on YouTube videos, but every time I go online I change my mind again. I know many of these still qualify as "beginner" ukes, but I'm tired of my cheap amazon special--tone is important to me. Please help.

($280) ISLANDER MT-4RB-EQ Mahogany. Sounds great in videos and much easier on my budget; but it is laminate

($280) Cordoba 20TM-VCE Cutaway. Seems like an economical solid top

($339) Gretsch G9121 Tenor A.C.E. Seems like good value for price (Groover tuners, solid mahogany top, fishman pickup) but do Gretsch ukes have the same reputation

($450) Breedlove Lu'au Tenor (Acoustic-Electric version). Seems pricey compared to some others, but it is sooo pretty I'm having trouble talking myself out of it

($450) Kala Solid Spruce Mahogany Tenor cutaway. I think Kala is a "Safe" choice, but it seems a little "uninspired" in some of the videos I've seen (that's probably too harsh, maybe there are just too many of them around in the music stores)

(I've included prices for relative value comparison purposes, I know Canadian prices are sometimes "out of whack" because of availability)

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.
    (sorry for the long winding, multiple posts)

I wonder what your first uke model is, and what you dislike about it. Would be good reference for considering the next buy.

A solid cedar top Kala KA-ATP-CTG-CE, with pickup and cutaway might be worth consideration. Smooth mellow tone right out of the box, and highly regarded here. I got a used non-electric version for $150.00.

A pleasant surprise for me was the all solid mahogany Farida KAT-3, also excellent tone, and superior to the many Ohana, Kala etc ukes I've owned. These are also available at Elderly Instruments. Mine was used, and came with a pickup installed.

https://reverb.com/item/33020245-far...ntent=33020245
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-13-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    John

Of the brands you have listed, I like Islander the best. That is partially because of how they feel in my hands and partially because of the sound quality. I know that Islander has made solid wood ukuleles in the past, but I don't see them on their website right now.

Quote Originally Posted by avaroth View Post
    Hello everyone, please advise proven and good courses
    UkuleleUnderground.com ?

Quote Originally Posted by chenx2 View Post
    I wonder what your first uke model is, and what you dislike about it. Would be good reference for considering the next buy.
    My first uke was a beginner model Oscar Schmidt laminate. I shouldn't have implied that I really dislike it. It feels nice in my hands and is fun to play, though a little "plinky" sounding. I'll definitely keep it as a "no worries" travel uke...
    But I decided I wanted an electic ukulele to explore different sound effects. And after looking at the cheaper options online, thought maybe I would like to spend a little more on a solid top to get a richer sound for my acoustic playing as well.

Thread Information