Shipping out of the UK and importing - important information

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
If you make for profit and ship abroad from the UK - that is anywhere outside the UK you will need an EORI number. If you already have one it needs replacing; get this from HMRC. A COM is also required stating the country of original manufacture.

All shipments whether trade or otherwise ie private sale will require an 'invoice'. You must also state on the invoice the HS number (contact me if you need these for ukuleles and abs cases). Most of you doing private pre-owned sales through Market Place and other channels use the Post Office or Parcel Force. If you subscribe to the PO web information they have lots of useful advice including the necessary customs templates for you. This should have been sent to you.

If you need any advice or help please contact me. Looks like exporting just became another activity I will be retiring this year.

PS
Although it is a great and rewarding experience buying direct from luthiers outside the UK this is going to cost more at point of entry. And while there is plenty of kudos buying custom pieces from the K brands and other 'volume' producers it would probably be more cost effective to buy these from any of the ukulele stores in the UK. I know this sounds like 'buy British' trope but trust me, they will cover the cost of all of the increased paperwork and regulations for you - expect price increases higher than usual this year.
Please continue to increase your collections by supporting all of the makers here and who don't post here. It's a rich world. However, it just got more expensive to do so - an almost
30% increase in shipping rates reflects this.

Last edited:
I think nothing much has changed with the US as far as goods under the value of $120.

That is sad, becouse I have ordered many things from GB. Tools are good and instruments are good. Now I have ordered many tools and wood from inside EU. Delivery is often quick and prices are good. The best was Guitars&Woods (Portugal). I ordered tool on Friday and I had that tool in my workshop here in Finland on tuesday. That is hard to beat. Soundhole and Rosette Routing Jig in Stewmac $110.37 (+shipping and taxes), similar product in G&W 54 € (+shipping, no taxes). Quality router bits from Germany, delivery in 4 days. From GB it took more than 2 weeks. Then price was almost same. Now if I order fron GB, I have to pay our 24% VAT also. That's why my things come mostly from EU nowdays.

GW are great. Remember this applies just to UK residents. Try and source your stuff in your own country or if you are in Europe, other EU countries. I am sad to have to say this but it is what it is. If as a UK builder you have traded with the US, this will be familiar. We now need to be more particular and add a COM for goods of greater value than

Yes. EU customers wanting to import from a UK maker will now have to pay import VAT (assuming the maker isn't VAT registered). Technically the customer becomes the 'importer of record'. Effectively it's a price hike of some 20% + the customs declaration that the maker has to complete. There may be issues with CITES too. That market has suddenly shrunk a bit if you happen to be a maker in the UK, unless you want to drop your price by around 20%. Theoretically it should release some demand from within the UK for UK based makers, however I doubt that it will make up for the loss, I'm just going by the numbers. A difficult market just got a bit more difficult.

Top Bottom