Drum sanders

Pegasus Guitars

Reaction score
I was asked by a friend today for a recommendation for a small drum sander. I use a wide belt sander, so could not help him, but said I'd ask around. He was told by Shop Fox not to sand anything to less than 3.5mm and to not use a backing board due to kickback. That does not seem right to me, but that's what he was told.So, if you can provide any experience with currently available drum sander, I'd appreciate it. Probably not looking for the higher dollar sanders. Thanks and enjoy your music!-Bob

I have a Jet 16-32 plus that I just love but I believe it's in the neighborhood $1000.00-$1100.00 so prob wont work for him. I sand down to 1/16" often

I use a 24" wide twin drum sander marketed here in Australia by Carbatec. Made in China.

It's a huge step up from the Jet/Performax ones that are cantilevered. I can easily sand down to 1.0mm just on the rubber conveyor belt.

I have a Jet 10-20. It definitely fits the bill of "smaller drum sander" yet it has plenty of power and good build quality. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It will go thinner than you'll ever need for uke work, I routinely sand material that's approaching veneer thickness (for headplate veneers and other purposes). I do this right on the conveyor belt, no backer. Some other small sanders have travel stops that would prevent this, at least without a backer board. The 10" width is enough to sand a glued up back or soundboard for a tenor uke, or you can do wider pieces in multiple passes since it's cantilevered. If I had the space for a bigger sander I'd probably own one instead of this, but this thing is extremely convenient in a small crowded shop since I can just set it on my main workbench when I'm using it, or set it out of the way in storage when I'm not.

My only other real reference for a drum sander is the one a friend of mine owned until he recently moved and sold it - it was a gigantic dual drum machine that was a total powerhouse. And nearly the size of a small car. I thought I would hate every second of using a small machine after being used to that monster, but I was more than surprised with how nice this Jet is.

I bought Jet 16-32 about 2 years ago and I like it very much.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm the friend referenced in Bob's post. I live in Vermont am limited in space and ability to move heavy machinery into my basement shop. I currently use a helix head planer with a backing board but it's real tough on thin figured wood. I appreciate all the input. I have seen the Jet 10-20 write top but it's nice to know real people who have experience with the tool. Thanks again for the input!

I think it needs to be emphasized that drum sanders are great machines for thinning wood and an absolute must for a shop that puts out a lot of ukuleles, but a person just starting out or a person who only plans on building one or two or maybe three ukes, a block plane and a orbital sander will do the job just fine. In other words, you don't necessarily need a drum sander to make an ukulele.

Build your own... cost is low. Plenty of info on the web. I have build three of these and they work great. I have a 16- 32 sander to do heavy work but you can do anything with this one. It does not have a mechanical feed. You must push it through (I call it a meat servo) but I find that with feel it works great.... I use it to size nuts and saddles also.... bindings ....almost everythingDSCF4611.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF4602.jpg
    DSCF4602.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 41
Have 2 years experience with the Jet 10-20 in a community workshop in Florida. That convinced me to buy a Grizzly 18" open end drum sander. Essentially the same money and twice the machine. The Jet raises and lowers the head. The Grizzly has a fixed head and adjustable feed table. Substantially more rigid. Abrasive changes on the Grizzly is easy and quick. The Jet NOT! Advertised as 1/8 minimum thickness but I go to 1.5mm regularly. The parallel adjustment between the feed table and the drum is a bit fiddly but I've got mine to .002" across the 18" width.

Have 2 years experience with the Jet 10-20 in a community workshop in Florida. That convinced me to buy a Grizzly 18" open end drum sander. Essentially the same money and twice the machine. The Jet raises and lowers the head. The Grizzly has a fixed head and adjustable feed table. Substantially more rigid. Abrasive changes on the Grizzly is easy and quick. The Jet NOT! Advertised as 1/8 minimum thickness but I go to 1.5mm regularly. The parallel adjustment between the feed table and the drum is a bit fiddly but I've got mine to .002" across the 18" width.

I have no experience with the Grizzly drum sander, but I just bought my third Grizzly machine - one of their 14" bandsaws. I also have a 2 hp dust collector and a 14" drill press. Like Grizzly, nearly all the well-known stationary tool brands now contract with factories in the far east for most of their products, instead of having their own factories. I think Grizzly plays that game better than any other manufacturer. Not everything they sell is perfect, but they consistently make tools that are very solid, work quite well, and are a far better value than anything else on the market. Prices are low, but quality control is pretty good, and they're pretty good about dealing with any problems that arise. I looked at other brands when bandsaw shopping, obsessively studied specifications, and read about a zillion reviews (user and ones from woodworking magazines). I couldn't see myself spending $300-400 more for a comparable machine made by someone else (such as Jet), and so far the Grizzly saw has been awesome. If I was in the market for a drum sander, I would look there first.

That 18" grizzly was on my shortlist when I bought the Jet, but a) it was constantly out of stock, and b) I decided I couldn't really afford to give up the floor space for a big 200-some pound machine on a stand, versus the 70-some pound Jet that I can store under a shelf when it's not in use. I think they're both good machines but just aimed at different audiences.

If I got one of them, I'd have to add a room to the garage and add a massive dust collection system. And that would be just the beginning. ;)

I run my Grizzly 18" on a 2 1/2 '' suction line through a cyclone separator into a Rigid shop vac. The cyclone has 20 feet of hose on the inlet and connected to the machine in use at the moment. Vacuum is in the overhead to conserve floor space. Since I learned to dump the cyclone container before it fills, I haven't had to clean or change the vacuum filter.

That is exactly how I do it but I have a large outfeed table, that doubles as a crowded place to put things, and the vacuum is underneath the table

I've had a 12 in shopfox for about a year. It's not seen a lot of use but it's always done a good job for me. It came properly setup from the factory and worked well right out of the box.The drum and paper are hook and loop, easy to change. It's a closed end machine so 12 in is the max width and at 150 lbs it's not really portable.I'd buy it again.

Top Bottom