Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Martin ukes

The Sweetwater website says: "we expect these to arrive in a few months"
    John

Quote Originally Posted by BigJackBrass View Post
    Ohana have been selling their aged finish series like the SK-38 for at least ten years now. Very popular and solid sellers too.

I wasn't aware that those had nicks/dings/scratches/faux cracks put into the wood or the finish sanded down in wear spots.

I will be buying so shutup and take my money haha

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    I remember the last time I went to a mall, back in the 90's. I was thinking of buying some denim pants. I went to the Levi's store and all they had were these items with rips and torn pockets and were purportedly carbon copies of an old pair of jeans that were found in a warehouse in San Francisco. I just left and never returned to a mall after that.

So I'm not a fan of distressed merchandise. Also, what's the point of a new Martin? I thought the goal was to get an old one with mojo and history. It is like all these young guys driving their 2020 Mustangs. If you're not driving a '63 mustang, why drive one at all?
    First Mustang made was a 64 1/2 model year, my brother bought one when they first came out. I'm not a young guy (70) but I have a 2019 Mustang convertible. 2.3 liter turbo 4 makes more horsepower than my 98 GT or 66 289. So that's why I drive one.

That said, I don't want holes in my pants or my instruments beat with a bicycle chain.

It doesn't look like Martin is putting holes, rips tears dings or any kind of wood trauma into their new Tenor Uke. They are simply applying a thin layer of stain, instead of multiple layers, and it looks like it is older than it is.

I do wish, however, that on their Mexican lines they would put an accent over the 'i' in Martin so we would call it the more appropriate "Marteen" brand ukulele.
    Last edited by Mike $; 01-16-2021 at 10:52 AM.

My ukes start to look road worn within about 2 weeks. I'm kind of a clumsy fellow.

That T1K does look tempting.

-Wiggy
    Last edited by Wiggy; 01-16-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Some of those seem a bit pricey.

The FSC mahogany concert looks nice, but $2399?
    When the C1K is 499?
    Playing:
    Anuenue AMM tenor - Magic Fluke Koa Tenor - Cocobolo concert - Kamaka Tiki concert - Cort concert - Ohana LN soprano.

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post

When the C1K is 499?
    I expect that the more expensive one is handmade in Pennsylvania, while the cheaper one is made on an assembly line in Mexico. In my experience, the Pennsylvania Martins do sound and handle significantly better. Whether they are worth the price is up to your budget, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post

When the C1K is 499?
    Well the FSC mahogany concert is just that, made with wood that is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified wood. This is a bit like buying organic foods. They are more expensive because they have to maintain certain standards and practices. This won't be important to everyone, but it does matter to some, and I suspect that this wood is quite a bit more expensive.

Also, based on the image on the Martin webstie, the stamp on the inside of the instrument looks like what they do for instruments actually made at their facility in Nazareth, PA, so this is likely US built.

The C1K is built at their factory in Mexico, and I don't believe that the wood is FSC certified.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2 (special) | Kanile'a K-1 C | Bruko #6
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

I wonder if the koa/flame patterns on the HPL top/back will be exactly the same on on each one, per the picture, or vary slightly? The stock Martin photos look good, but I've been fooled before Don't get fooled again!
    John

Thread Information